Sony Paranoia Run Amok: One Reason Not to Buy a Z1 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old January 7th, 2006, 01:15 AM   #16
Trustee

> To hope the BlueRay format loses just because of Sony is, as you can see, flat out ridiculous

Well I hope it fails because of its higher cost and more obnoxious DRM. But that aside, many people consider its prospects for market penetration hang almost entirely on Sony's inclusion of blueray support in the PS3.

Otherwise, the public can be expected to simply buy the HD-DVD format as a consequence of its cheaper players and media.
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2006, 03:11 AM   #17
Regular Crew

I agree that this is bordering on the laughable from Sony! At least the tech had the decency to be ashamed about it, and didn't try to spin you any marketing crap about how not being able to connect your camera was benefiting you as a consumer.

It's the problem with Sony being both a content producer and selling home electronics to display that content. Sometimes the two divisions have much different goals. A lot of people believe that's why Apple was able to come in and eat their walkman lunch with the iPod.

I really do shudder to think what will happen with blu-ray, in light of stuff like this and the CD-root kit debacle that they had to do a mea-culpa on last month.
John M Burkhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2006, 08:30 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Xbr 960 Z1/h1

I'm still deciding on an H1 or Z1. Anyway, I also have the XBR 960 and has anyone tried to play either the H1 or Z1 through the front Firewire? Thanks for any info.
Ray Boltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2006, 08:43 AM   #19
Major Player

Hmmm so im guessing this will be throughout Sonys Z1E units as well. Maybe the FX1 is better for me stepping up from DV units?

Will I use the Z1E with all its features over the FX1E I'm wondering..
David Dwyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2006, 09:37 AM   #20
Major Player

mmmmm XBR960! I think this is stupid of Sony, but, you can give
sony an additional $1400 or so and get an HC1 as a playback deck. No
point in wearing out the heads on a 5K camera. Has anyone tried to hook
up a firewre connection from their Mac to an XBR?
Scott Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2006, 04:26 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Maybe there is a fifth column at work in Sony to white-ant their competitiveness and set them up for a cheap hostile takeover.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1