Severly Dissapointed in B&H at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old January 9th, 2006, 05:02 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Severly Dissapointed in B&H

Yesterday I placed an order with them for a NP-F970 battery, with USPS priority shipping, as I need it by Wednesday (flying to GA, will be there for 3 weeks - I live in Michigan right now)...

Checked my order status today, STILL processing. Tried calling their customer service department, sorry, no dice! Computers are down... (for being such a large internet store I would expect them to have better service).

No-one else I talked to could get me info on why my order was still in "processing" mode.

So now I'm forced to go buy locally somewhere (and pay an arm and a leg more for a battery).

I won't be ordering from them again.
Old January 9th, 2006, 05:09 PM   #2
Major Player

Technology sometimes fails. It's also not possible (financially, for example) to mitigate every risk. If you're in Atlanta and still need the battery you might try Showcase Photographics. They seem to be fairly price competitive, so you might only be out an arm or a leg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Bixby
Yesterday I placed an order with them for a NP-F970 battery, with USPS priority shipping, as I need it by Wednesday (flying to GA, will be there for 3 weeks - I live in Michigan right now)...

Checked my order status today, STILL processing. Tried calling their customer service department, sorry, no dice! Computers are down... (for being such a large internet store I would expect them to have better service).

No-one else I talked to could get me info on why my order was still in "processing" mode.

So now I'm forced to go buy locally somewhere (and pay an arm and a leg more for a battery).

I won't be ordering from them again.
Jim Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2006, 05:48 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hey, Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Michael
Technology sometimes fails. It's also not possible (financially, for example) to mitigate every risk. If you're in Atlanta and still need the battery you might try Showcase Photographics. They seem to be fairly price competitive, so you might only be out an arm or a leg.
Hey thanks, HAHA that last part about the arm OR leg, I chuckled a little...anywho, I will be flying into Atlanta, I'll check google for their website (if they have one), otherwise, do you know the address?

Thanks,
Ben
Old January 9th, 2006, 06:01 PM   #4
Major Player

They have them at about $105.00.

We paid ten dollars more locally.

That's after buying a genuine 970 Sony from an eBayer that was clearly a counterfeit battery.

Claimed it was Sony InfoLithium. It wasn't and it was scam.

Packing was off when compared to a local dealer.
David Saraceno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2006, 06:04 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Saraceno
They have them at about $105.00.

We paid ten dollars more locally.

That's after buying a genuine 970 Sony from an eBayer that was clearly a counterfeit battery.

Claimed it was Sony InfoLithium. It wasn't and it was scam.

Packing was off when compared to a local dealer.
Awesome, thanks for your help!
Old January 9th, 2006, 07:22 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Bixby
Hey thanks, HAHA that last part about the arm OR leg, I chuckled a little...anywho, I will be flying into Atlanta, I'll check google for their website (if they have one), otherwise, do you know the address?

Thanks,
Ben
They're a bit east of I-85 on Cheshire Bridge road. I think they have a website but I don't think it's current. Probably a missed marketing opportunity there. Have fun.
Jim Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2006, 10:41 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I have had a few delays with B&H but far more great results, not to mention alot of saved money and no sales tax out of state! I have NEVER had a positive experience with Showcase, all 5 times over the past 5 years. I would only go in there as a last resort, like for tape stock. They are just as bad as Wolf Camera when it comes to getting help in the store and I think it's mostly because they're understaffed and not because they don't care. I think they are trying to be more than they can support. You will either stay on hold for eternity listening to directions to the store or not getted helped in a reasonable amount of time while in the store. This has happened to often to ignore. Of course, you'll come down here and probably have a perfect experience with them and make me look like a jackass. That's how it usually works. Good luck!

Showcase
www.showcaseinc.com

Last edited by James Emory; January 10th, 2006 at 12:18 AM.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2006, 12:05 AM   #8
Regular Crew

expecting priority mail to deliver within two days isnt something everyone should rely on. priority mail is great for most things, but i suggest for time sensitive packages, go fedex or ups. i would have gone express mail if i wanted to be cheap, but fast...er.

btw, b&h is a great company otherwise and i hope you do give them another chance, since their customer service is phenominal.

hope you get those batts somehow!
R.P. Cuenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2006, 12:20 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Yep, I totally agree. I would always go with a carrier known for speed and pay a little more for a faster delivery time when there is a small window. B&H may be willing to refund the shipping if you can show it was their fault.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2006, 01:42 PM   #10
Regular Crew

You do bring up good points on the shipping, I just wish they would have processed it fully yesterday (kinda wish they had a $2.99 rush processing fee kinda like what Newegg.com provides) - Anywho, I finally got ahold of them, they shipped it out today, hopefully it will make it here in time, if not, I'll have to buy something down south.

Once again,
Thanks
Ben
Old January 10th, 2006, 08:36 PM   #11
Major Player

Time of Purchase

Ben,
B&H posts some guidelines on their Web site about time-cutoffs and shipping methods to use for rush orders. You met the cutoff time (before 3:30 PM EST on Mon - Thurs, 10:30 AM Fri) for shipping on Monday. I think your shipping method was maybe not a "rush" delivery method, though (i.e., UPS, 1 or 2 day delivery)--I'm not sure USPS qualifies as "rush" (they list "rush" only under the UPS section of their Shipping help page).

Anyhow, I've noticed that the B&H system takes a while to show your order has shipped--I've even received orders before or on the same day that the order status was changed in the B&H system. E.g., order I placed yesterday still shows as "processed", even though B&H has already sent me a tracking number by email, which is active in UPS.

I've found B&H to be very competitively priced and never had a problem with the actual shipping. Stuff always arrives promptly (I always use UPS)--even if their Web site/customer service doesn't see that the order has been processed!!! There are definitely system update and communications "opportunities" for them...

Just my $0.02
ciao,
Matt
Matt Vanecek is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1