I am new and need help - with my HDR-FX1E at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old January 12th, 2006, 02:46 PM   #1
Regular Crew

I am new and need help - with my HDR-FX1E

Right - I am not a camcorder buff, but I am a film buff, and was just wondering what kind of equipment I would need. I mean in terms of getting smoother shots - good lighting - mic's - to make it look professional. Any other reccomendations would be welcome. I am only 17, so I may these pieces one at a time - due to money. But please, name a range of prices and a range of equipment.

Sorry if this sounds a tad amateur, but I really do want to get my images - but in style, not just like it is being handheld etc.

Thanks in advance.
Oliver Zarandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2006, 03:25 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Zarandi
Right - I am not a camcorder buff, but I am a film buff, and was just wondering what kind of equipment I would need. I mean in terms of getting smoother shots - good lighting - mic's - to make it look professional. Any other reccomendations would be welcome. I am only 17, so I may these pieces one at a time - due to money. But please, name a range of prices and a range of equipment.
The first things I would recommed are a good, sturdy tripod with a "fluid pan head" like the Bogen 501 or 503 (~$200-400+); an on-camera diffused light from Bescor or others with a rechargeable battery (~$100-200+), a UHF wireless lavalier microphone kit (~$300-400+), a Beachtek XLR adapter (~$150), and a tripod-mountable "LAN-C" camera controller (~$150).

One of the best places to shop for anything like this is the first link on the DVinfo sponsors page (B&H photo video): http://www.dvinfo.net/sponsors/
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2006, 05:15 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Shaw
The first things I would recommed are a good, sturdy tripod with a "fluid pan head" like the Bogen 501 or 503 (~$200-400+); an on-camera diffused light from Bescor or others with a rechargeable battery (~$100-200+), a UHF wireless lavalier microphone kit (~$300-400+), a Beachtek XLR adapter (~$150), and a tripod-mountable "LAN-C" camera controller (~$150).[/url]
great range of equipment to start with.
oliver, do you have an idea of what type of filmmaking you'd like to be doing? if so we can direct you to more specific equipment that would be useful now and later, after you've built a movie making empire for yourself.
R.P. Cuenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2006, 06:50 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I am just trying to make a short film about my city, Wolverhampton in the UK. I want to retain a gritty feeling in my shots of people talking - the camera is restless, like the characters. Although I hate the city, I want the shots to be romanticised, so any shots of the city must look good.
Old January 14th, 2006, 08:57 AM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Shaw
a tripod-mountable "LAN-C" camera controller (~$150)
You should be aware that LANC controllers cannot access the full range of zoom speed on the FX1 and Z1 unfortunately. See the following:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=55047

Also, if you plan to shoot a lot of handheld stuff you might consider a shoulder rest. I have one of these and it works very well:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2006, 11:08 AM   #6
Regular Crew

thanks for the info.
Old January 14th, 2006, 12:32 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Zarandi
... so any shots of the city must look good.
You have set yourself a bit of a challenge i'd have though trying to make Wolverhampton look good.
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2006, 01:08 PM   #8
Regular Crew

lol - i hear ya. terribly bleak little city. But I found this great spot that overlooks the majority of Wolverhampton - and all you can see are buzzing lights - red, blue and white. I mean, it is so searing. I stood there and it instantly reminded me of Heat and Crash (2004). Then you turn around...and the city is terrible.

:(
Old January 14th, 2006, 01:25 PM   #9
Wrangler

BTW - I just noticed that you posted your FX1 question to the HC1 forum so I moved it to the FX1 forum where you may get some more input.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2006, 01:28 PM   #10
Regular Crew

ah - thanks there.
Oliver Zarandi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1