URGENT - Wide lens for Z1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old January 26th, 2006, 11:04 AM   #1
Regular Crew

URGENT - Wide lens for Z1

I know that this subject has been discussed here around.

I need to get a wide adapter to shoot interiors (arquitecture and realstate) next Feb.
I'm asking help on the people that have REALLY tried (and that works with) the following lens:

-Sony VCL-HG0872 0.8x Wide
-Century 0.7x
-16:9 0.7x
-RedEye 0.7x

YOU that that have tested them, please tell me:
-Which does LESS distortion on the image ?
Any other brand / model ?

As the price of them is almost the same, I will have to buy on quality specs.

BTW. For a tele adapter, the same question: Picture quality.
(I believe that a tele adapter + the Zeiss lens on full tele, will DUPLICATE the color abberation ? Yes / no ?)

Thanks
Carlos Manuel
Carlos Manuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2006, 06:15 PM   #2
Wrangler

See my thread for a little info on this: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=58525

The .6x definitely introduces a lot of barrell distortion and probably won't look good for your use, but I haven't used the .7x. However the Z1 lens all by itself has some distortion at the wide end, so any adaptor will only make that worse.

Yes, there is definitely some CA noticeable on the 1.6 telephoto, see the example I posted. I really haven't put this lens through its paces and probably won't for a couple weeks until I do some performance shooting. However, as you note, the builtin lens also has some CA at full telephoto so any adaptor is going to magnify that.

But there aren't really many choices for the telephoto other than using a step down ring with a smaller diameter lens...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2006, 05:20 AM   #3
Tourist

Sony .8 Wide Angle

The Sony Lens isnt that much to write home about. It does stay in focus whilst you zoom and is crisp and clear but it hardly brings you back wide much more than the original lens on the camera... and is a lot of money for not a lot of effect. I am quite unimpressed by mine.

I wish I had spent the money on the new Raynox instead which is full fisheye but allows you to zoom in some way and it is much wider.. but gives you more choice of what you can do as an effect lens.
Matthew Williams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1