DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   video card for capturing FX1 1080i HDV?? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/60335-video-card-capturing-fx1-1080i-hdv.html)

Cody Dulock February 10th, 2006 08:05 AM

video card for capturing FX1 1080i HDV??

right now i have a radeon 8500 series video card, 2gb pc2100 ram, and a 1.7ghz processor.

whenever i capture in 1080iHDV its smooth for about 10 seconds, then its just like an artifact nightmare!! i believe its got to be my video card. i think its a 128mb or lower agp card.

any help would be great!!!

David Dwyer February 10th, 2006 09:56 AM

I had this with XP3200 1GB PC3500 and ATI 9800PRO and I changed full PC to

4800+ 64 CPU
1GB 3500 (upgraded to 4GB later)
150 WD SATA 10k rpm
PCI-X 1800 ATI GFX 256mb

And works fine though a little slow on rendering those movies. No way that PC can run them mate.

Chris Barcellos February 10th, 2006 11:52 AM

Not Video Card

I don't think video card has anything to do with capture capability. The capture process has involves cpu, hard drives, memory, and firewire ports, and of course the mother board interfacing with them. If you are having trouble with playback, that could be the video card.

Specs Ive seen on most HDV editing programs indicate at least a 3.0 gig machine, with 2 Gigs memory.

I noted the same type of problem when I tried to capture to my 1.7 Gigh Pentium. I ended up gutting it and installing a dual core AMD 3800+ chip setup, and went with 2 gigs of memory. Had to dump the old memory because it wasn't DDR. Board I bought required a PCI Express so I bought a 256 "no name" video card to add. While I was at it, I added a new 480 watt powers source.

As you would expect, Microsoft considered that a new rig when I tried to run the upgrade on the XP, so I ended up having to get new operating system disk too, though I used upgrade, since I had Windows ME on that system way back when.

Ended up spending about $ 900 to get there.

Alex Thin February 10th, 2006 12:32 PM

re

With capdvhs I can capture hdv from my HC1 without a problem. I have a AMD athlon XP 2600+ with 512 ram. For example with Ulead videostudio 9 I have, it has compatibility with HC1 and HDV, is imposible capture, but with this free little tool, the capture is almost perfect. Try it.

For simple editing the native hdv footage, you can use Womble mpeg wizard, I can edit the native HDV very well with my PC. Another good thing about this video editor is that when you render the procces, only the parts that are affected by some filter or transition is re-encoded, any other parts are simply copied. So you can render in HDV mpeg2 maintaining almost the original quality.

Steven Gotz February 10th, 2006 12:54 PM

Which NLE are you using to capture?

Cody Dulock February 10th, 2006 07:06 PM

i tried premiere pro 1.5 with the HDV upgrade... so its capturing via the cineform trial.

i will try capturing through avid tomorrow though.

Steven Gotz February 10th, 2006 08:28 PM

Download Cineform Aspect HD 4.0 and use HDLink to capture just the M2T file. Then convert it in a second step. It is easier on the PC. Your PC is way underpowered for HDV.

Robert M Wright February 14th, 2006 05:03 AM

Simply capturing MPEG-TS HDV files from tape, on the camcorder or a deck, doesn't take much computer power. It's simply a data transfer from one device to another, like copying files from a CD onto your hard drive (you must be able to sustain the 24mbps data thruput though - 7200rpm hard drive is a good idea, but a defragged 5400rpm will work). Transcoding to Cineform's codec is another matter. Cineform recommends at least a Hyperthreading 2.8GHz P4 or an Athlon 64. They also recommend dual channel memory, but I'm not entirely convinced that memory speed has nearly the impact that processor speed does (I plan to do some timing tests on that in the near future). I might mention, from some benchmark test results I've read lately (and also rough perception in on hands real world usage), it would seem that a one cycle boost in CAS latency has well under even a 5% performance impact on just about any task (more like 0% to 2%), so you are much better off putting money into faster processors than lower CAS memory. The video graphics adapter has no impact on capturing, nor does it have an impact on transcoding to Cineform's codec, unless it uses shared memory (onboard graphics).