DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   Do it yourself firmware upgrades (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/60360-do-yourself-firmware-upgrades.html)

Jack Zhang February 8th, 2006 07:08 PM

if you're an expert (with ASCII porgramming knowledge), you could turn a Z1 from 1080i encoding to 1080p60 encoding. once the ATSC 1080p60 format comes out that just might be possible to turn a Z1 from 1080i to 1080p.

Leo Pepingco February 10th, 2006 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Zhang
if you're an expert (with ASCII porgramming knowledge), you could turn a Z1 from 1080i encoding to 1080p60 encoding. once the ATSC 1080p60 format comes out that just might be possible to turn a Z1 from 1080i to 1080p.

Lets assume for the moment this 1080p format is avaliable, would it be possible for a noob like me who knows little about cameras themselves to find someone to do it with only cash and the camera in question?

It would be good if companies themselves actually became involved in the upkeep of old models. Like how some cams now can accept downloaded upgrades and new codecs. (So I've heard)

Joe Lumbroso February 10th, 2006 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo Pepingco
Like how some cams now can accept downloaded upgrades and new codecs. (So I've heard)

The Z1U/FX1 *can* accept upgrades to its firmware. I know it can be done. I assume it's done through the firewire. I've not seen anything about this online, but if you knew what you were doing (or were significantly insane or brave), you could definately "get up in that shizz..." and do what you will.

Paul Cascio February 10th, 2006 05:16 PM

I will do it for you when I have the code finished - $250

Jack is right, it can be done and the mods are applied through a firewire. For safety purposes, a copy of the existing eprom code is made first. Then, the changes are applied. Anyone with a reasonably advanced knoweldge of electronic circuits and particularly non-volatile memory devices (eproms) can perfom such mods if they have access to the documented source code. Unfortunately, I don't know sqwat about any of that stuff, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once, or was it a Ramada, or maybe it was a Motel 6. Send cash please.

Tomas Chinchilla February 10th, 2006 07:39 PM

Can anyone tell me whether we are serious here or not?

I mean can this be done for real make the cam record 60p instead of 60i?

Quality?

Wow!

Boyd Ostroff February 10th, 2006 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomas Chinchilla
Can anyone tell me whether we are serious here or not?

Of course this is serious. Also see Jack's thread about how you can perform a firmware upgrade to turn your Hyundai into a Mercedes...

Jack Zhang February 10th, 2006 09:05 PM

Well, whomever made this a thread will be thanked. (I didin't intend this to be a thread.)
Edit: Oh, it was you Boyd, I never expected this topic to start a wildfire of posts!!!

I was first thinking of upgrading the encoder chip to a faster chip for encoding to MPEG-4 AVC. But you guys seem to be excited about using the current circuitry and converting from 1080i to 1080p60.

Leo Pepingco February 10th, 2006 10:14 PM

WEll, if the technology is out there, and someone is willing to do it, then I'll get my Z1 next month. If I can get 1080p and 1080i, that would be fantastico. Then I dont need that HD100.

I was only wondering that when this technology becomes readilly avaliable, will Sony offer to do it for a fee? I dont plan to send my new camera anywhere outside of Sydney... I dont trust Australia post, the Bermuda Triangle of Postal companies.

John Hewat February 11th, 2006 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo Pepingco
I dont plan to send my new camera anywhere outside of Sydney... I dont trust Australia post, the Bermuda Triangle of Postal companies.

Same with me and Melbourne. But I really like the sound of this. People kept saying "What about when 1080p cameras come out - you'll need to buy a new one... Well maybe not...

How would the NLEs deal with it though?

And can you kiss your warranty good bye with something like this?

DJ Lewis February 11th, 2006 02:39 AM

a while back, at a confrence, I heard about a firmware update from a guy in Sweden (I think) that turned a fx1 pretty much into a z1, but never found anything online about it...

1080p on a z1 sure would be nice :)

Steven Gotz February 11th, 2006 07:41 AM

I don't know what the big deal is. I have known the secret to upgrading a FX1 to a Z1 ever since the Z1 came out.

Sell the FX1 and buy the Z1. Easy. No sweat.

Jack Zhang February 11th, 2006 04:14 PM

^^^for NLEs, I predict Vegas could handle it. As for FCP5, maybe some additional development is required for native HDV 1080p60 to run in FCP.

Ben De Rydt February 12th, 2006 11:06 AM

Please keep the comedy factor of this thread a bit higher, otherwise people may take things serious.

For the record: there's no way to change an interlaced CCD system to a progressive one by software, you can't compress 1080p60 to 25 Mbit/s and expect any quality, and firmware updates for the FX1 and Z1 will most likely need a special tool connected to the service port located in the battery compartment.

Tomas Chinchilla February 12th, 2006 11:11 AM

Thanks Ben for clarifying things!

Jack Zhang February 12th, 2006 11:24 PM

^^I realize that so that's why I initially thought of replacing some of the parts (CCDs, Encoder chips, etc...). only daredevil repairmen could do that. Remember the guy that fitted a nikon lens on an FX1E?