FX1 Audio stuff at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old February 11th, 2006, 01:59 AM   #1
Regular Crew

FX1 Audio stuff

I've seen various references to people using XLR adaptors like the beachtek's etc into and FX1, but let's say you hooked a shotgun for room sound etc and a wireless lav into the adaptor, does the sound get layed down on both channels as a stereo track??
As apposed to a Z1 where could you separate both sources and perhaps manipulate later.

I'm trying to figure if I really need the Z1 rather than an FX1 and confused about the audio acquistion.
Mike McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2006, 02:17 AM   #2
Inner Circle

BeachTek

I have the FX1, and a DX4-a adapter. I just tested the camera, except I currently only have one XLR microphone. However, using the one mic connected in each of the two xlr mic inputs, the following happens. If you have the front selector toggle set to mono, the imput from the single mic goes to both stereo channels. If you set the toggle at stereo, the microphone input will go to left or right channel, depending on which xlr jack is used. I think that makes it clear that you have discreet channels when the toggle is set at stereo.
Old February 11th, 2006, 01:43 PM   #3
Major Player

yep Mike you re absolutely right... I use the FX and Sign Video box, you can input two mics say a lav and a shott gun into separate channels... ido it all the time....

Cheers
Gareth
Gareth Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2006, 02:54 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks guys, I think that pretty much clears it up. I'm starting to wonder if I really need a Z1 with this ability. Is there any loss in quality by patching the xlr sound through a mini input??
Old February 11th, 2006, 03:22 PM   #5
Trustee

There's no loss in quality to my ear.
I use the FX1 and the Z1 interchangeably on broadcast shoots and no-one has ever queried the audio...

Robin
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2006, 07:43 PM   #6
Regular Crew

What would be a decent shotgun mic to use with the FX1 that could be mounted, perhaps to the hotshoe?
Old February 11th, 2006, 07:55 PM   #7
Major Player

I reccomned Rhode shotguns for the FX1... They occasionally come with a shock mount and they are short enough not to come into frame when you do mount them.
Leo Pepingco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2006, 01:47 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McKay
What would be a decent shotgun mic to use with the FX1 that could be mounted, perhaps to the hotshoe?
I have the Sennheiser ME66 that I can mount on the FX1 accessory shoe adapter that is supplied with the camera. I was worried about it protruding to far, but it does not, even with a home made windsock I have on it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1