UK: Wierd PAL/NTSC stuff with FX1- ideas!? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old February 20th, 2006, 03:41 PM   #1
Regular Crew

UK: Wierd PAL/NTSC stuff with FX1- ideas!?

Hi all,

Just pruchased a Fx1 today- very happy so far. but there is a slight problem that seems a bit wierd to me.

1. Filmed in HDV.
2. Downsampled to DV when logging to the edition 5 timeline
3. When playing back from the timeline to my monitor using the FX1 as a s-video breakout box it displays 'ntsc' in the viewfinder and produces mickey mouse sounding garbage

?

Is it to do with the downsampling in camera upsampling when playing back? Is it because i have a ntsc camera? (I think not as I wrote a disk and it plays fine) When I replaced the FX1 with my Xm2 and played back through that, all was fine.

Is there anything to worry about here or just an irritation?

Stuart
Stuart Boreham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2006, 03:55 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Sounds like you have an NTSC FX1, it is outputting an NTSC signal, your disk player is outputting a PAL signal and so is your XM2.

Sounds like you need to exchange your FX1 for an FX1E.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 01:05 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Solved, if anyone is interested. Its is a FX1e.

The problem goes away if you pull the dv plug out and then shove it right back in again.

Technology, eh?

S
Stuart Boreham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2006, 09:03 AM   #4
Ruler of the DownUnder UnderWorld

Stuart

Mine does the same, Im over here in Australia, I have been editing HDV but have just started to do DV and yes you have to turn the camera off and restart or pull the plug...It must be a bug. I can also play 4.3 minDV tapes as 16.9 displayed sometimes...stranged.

Im using it with Premiere Pro and firewire.

Paul
Paul Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2006, 06:00 AM   #5
Ruler of the DownUnder UnderWorld

Hey I just got my PAL A1 and it does the exact same thing as my PAL FX1?

Must be a bug. I can turn the camera off, pull the firewire plug or shut down Prem Pro and restart to sort it out.

Paul
Paul Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2006, 06:10 AM   #6
Major Player

What the cameras are doing is just a signal reset. The best way to do it is to turn off the cam, then turn it on again.

Its like using a floppy disk in the older computers, where you can only access the disk in DOS, or when thecomputer boots.

So imagine pulling the plug and reinserting it is like the computer going to DOS because windows 95 doesnt recognise it. And turning the cam off and on again is like inserting the disk before you start.

Its not a bug, but just a parameter that Sony probably left in the cam to save money, and in the end, save you a few hundred in the RRP of the cam.
Leo Pepingco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1