1st shot at chroma key (FX1) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old February 21st, 2006, 09:51 PM   #1
Major Player

1st shot at chroma key (FX1)

I want comments on the chroma key, the commercial is not finished.

http://www.dvtvproductions.com/JR%20240.mov
Old February 21st, 2006, 10:19 PM   #2
Tourist

I thought it looked great....

I thought it looked great, really great....

I just got a gig producing a series of childrens foreign language videos and I'd really be interested in how you achieved these results. I'd be interested in hearing everything from lighting to tape-stock, to the various and sundry software packages that were utilized.

Any advice you'd like to share concerning your experience would be apreciated.

Thanks
Christopher Dinnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 10:41 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Unless downsizing and compression is somehow masking a problem, I think it will play well to a general audience. I've never done chroma key though, so my eyes aren't trained to look at it critically. I have pulled backgrounds out of photos on occassion in Paint Shop Pro (with the background eraser tool, not chroma key), so I would call it an advanced layman's take on the clip.

Actually, pulling backgrounds out of photos in PSP with that eraser tool, I came up with a slick way to deal with drastic differences in lighting between backgrounds and foregrounds (adjust brightness, contrast, black level, saturation, white balance, etc. in background and foreground seperately). I wish there was some sort of tool I knew of that could accomplish the same thing with video.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2006, 05:55 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Villalba
I want comments on the chroma key, the commercial is not finished.

http://www.dvtvproductions.com/JR%20240.mov

It's hard to say without seeing the full resolution, but it looks like a clean pull.
Will this be seen in HD or SD?
John McGinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2006, 08:32 AM   #5
Major Player

Christian I used the FX1 in HDV mode. I used a key light with an umbrela and a white reflector as fill. For the green BG I used a single light with a green filter on it to keep the true green. For hair and separation I used a small light with an amber filter on it. Exposure was set at F4 with no gain, shutter at 1/60th and CF30. The subject was about 10' from the BG to make sure there was no spill from the BG. I made one mistake and that was keeping the subject too close to the BG light and I got a little spill from it.
Editing was done with FCP using the DVCPRO HD 1080i codec and dvmatte for keying. I finished compositing in DV format for speed, but for the final edit I will use 8 bit uncompress.
Old March 4th, 2006, 04:16 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Douglas,

Shoot...I wish your file was still up. What method did you use to get the DVCPRO-HD file?
Xavier Etown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2006, 12:06 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier Etown
Douglas,

Shoot...I wish your file was still up. What method did you use to get the DVCPRO-HD file?
I'll have it running again next week. I forgot that the domain has to be paid also :b.
I use FCP to do it, but when the page is back up next week check under TV Commercials "Juniors Band Orchestra". I did the Spanish version first using DVCPRO HD but the English version I did using HDV. Sinse I had more (experience) for the English I think it looks better.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1