DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   FX1 audio too low (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/61765-fx1-audio-too-low.html)

Juan Dela Cruz February 28th, 2006 04:39 PM

FX1 audio too low

when the audio is set automatic the audio is very low, Is this normal or I got a defective unit?

Robert M Wright February 28th, 2006 08:11 PM

What microphone are you using?

Mike Toledano February 28th, 2006 09:40 PM

As well, if your mic relies on a battery for power you might want to put in a new one. I had this problem using the azden sgm-2x mic and a new battery corrected the volume.

Juan Dela Cruz March 1st, 2006 07:09 AM

internal mic

built-in internal mic of FX1.

Robert M Wright March 1st, 2006 11:17 AM

When you say low, do you mean that it's low compared to another camcorder you've used (with onboard mic)? A difficulty is that it's hard to know what you mean by low ("low" being a subjective term). If possible, can you put a short clip up on the web, so we could hear what you're describing as low? Maybe something with somebody standing 10 feet directly in front of the camera, talking directly at the camera.

John Rofrano March 2nd, 2006 01:31 PM

Yea, I noticed that too. I have a Z1 and the audio is extremely low when in auto mode. Just switch it to manual and adjust the gain yourself. I never use auto mode anyway so I forgot about that but I do remember thinking how low the audio was when I first got it. I don’t think it’s your unit. It’s just the way it is.

~jr

Jeremy Rochefort March 2nd, 2006 02:33 PM

I would try and invest in an external mic. I have both the FX1 and Z1 and have slapped external mic's on both which gives me infinitely better results each time.

With a good external mic you can play with auto and check your results for different scenes/settings

Azden and Sennheisers are good places to start

Cheers

John Rofrano March 3rd, 2006 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy Rochefort
With a good external mic you can play with auto and check your results for different scenes/settings

Good advice. I use the Audio-Technica AT897 with my Z1 and I’m very happy with it. Don’t forget to invest in a decent set of headphones to monitor your sound. I use Sony MDR-7506’s and they’re great.

~jr

Chris Sabold March 4th, 2006 07:20 AM

As a one day user I also noticed that in the auto mode the audio is recorded at a lower volume than on any other camcorder I've owned. At a live music event this would probably be a good thing but for every day recording I'm a bit disappointed as well.
Chris..

Marcus Marchesseault March 4th, 2006 08:08 AM

I found this in a review of the FX1 at hdtvexpert.com.

"I found AGC (really only a limiter) delivered perfect audio — although I noticed peaks were typically at –14dB rather than at 0dB. This is because HDV utilizes a –20dB Reference Level."

Boyd Ostroff March 4th, 2006 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Sabold
As a one day user I also noticed that in the auto mode the audio is recorded at a lower volume than on any other camcorder I've owned.

Interestingly, I find the auto setting on the Z1 to be just about the same as the auto setting on my Sony PDX-10 which also keeps the peaks very low. However, on both of these cameras the audio quality is fine if you boost it in post. Now the auto setting on my VX-2000 is substantially higher, although the quality isn't quite so good. I gather that the PD-150 is also a lot "hotter." I'm wondering if Sony is doing this because the preamps on these newer cameras a lot cleaner and they can get away with it whereas they couldn't on the PD-150?