The right mic for the job. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old March 2nd, 2006, 07:11 PM   #1
Regular Crew

The right mic for the job.

I'll be shooting outdoors and I want a mic similar in quality to what a stock PD-170 sony mic would give me. I have the beachtek adapter for my FX1, what do you recommend? I want good pick-up in all directions, so that it will grab the people talking who are 5-10 feet away from me, negating some of the background sounds 30-50 feet away. Any info would be greatly appreciated, as I do need to either pick one up tomorow or order from B&H.

Edit: And I am looking in the 200-300 dollar price range...

Some of the ones I was overlooking were the AT-897, SGM-1000, Rode NTG2, SGM-2X, and Sony ECM-674.
Old March 3rd, 2006, 02:37 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Ben

Not used any but the AT897, but have the same set up as you do, and did a lot of looking around the forums before buying... Seems to be accepted that the AT is the best mic in its league.

I very happy with mine...

cheers
Gareth
Gareth Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 03:19 PM   #3
Sponsor: VASST

I also use an AT897 with my Z1 and I’m very happy with it. It’s a great mic for the price.

~jr
Old March 3rd, 2006, 11:04 PM   #4
Regular Crew

What site can I look at the AT897. I just got an HVR-Z1U today. I would like to find a reliable mic for it. I'm sure the recommended Sony mic is great, but a lower priced one that works good, is what I can afford at the moment. Thanks, Ray
Ray Boltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2006, 01:32 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Has anyone used an Audix UEM-81s? The specs on it sure make it look good, especially for the price.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2006, 04:02 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Boltz
What site can I look at the AT897. I just got an HVR-Z1U today. I would like to find a reliable mic for it. I'm sure the recommended Sony mic is great, but a lower priced one that works good, is what I can afford at the moment. Thanks, Ray
Here's one place:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...hs=t&shs=at897

And more technical specs:
http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wi...4dc/index.html

This will probably be your best choice of mic. Sometimes it pays to spend the extra few $ to start off right - a mistake I made when I started. Needless to say, I had a few items for sale once I had gotten my right kit.

Cheers
Old March 4th, 2006, 04:15 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Wright
Has anyone used an Audix UEM-81s? The specs on it sure make it look good, especially for the price.
Had one for test a while back from an importer trying to bring in lower priced items. I compared it to the AT897 and the ME66.

Roll-off levels were up on the Audix followed by the ME66 and then the best performer being the AT897. The AT897 has the best frequency response and the lowest signal to noise ratio. That seals it for me.

Cheers

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1