Question about B&H Photo? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Closed Thread

Old March 4th, 2006, 10:25 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Question about B&H Photo?

I'm sure many of you have purchased equipment from B&H hence the reason for the post. I purchased the FX1 from B&H this week and it arrived yesterday afternoon. Upon opening the shipping box, I noticed the Sony Seal had already been cut open on the camera box. Upon opening the Sony box, all the accessories were laying in the box not wrapped in plastic. The only item that was wrapped was the camera itself. I know with all other Sony products I purchased in the past all the cables, battery, eyecup, and the remote were packaged in plastic? None of these items were..

Upon turning on the camera for the first time, usually you are prompted to set the time and date. Time and date were already set. I also noticed the "assign buttons" were already assigned, focus was set to manual, camera mode was set to manual, and the microphone was set to manual. The camera body itself has what looks to be like a mist spray on certain parts - is this just part of the finish?

So I am asking if this is the "normal" packing method of Sony or is it possible that the camera was a returned item that B&H just resent? If it not for the $3000 price tag I wouldn't complain. My concern is that it is "used" or "reconditioned" etc, etc. I have not called B&H yet due to the fact that they are closed until tomorrow (Sunday). I thought I could get some info before calling them?

Thanks for your input.
Old March 4th, 2006, 10:30 AM   #2
Major Player

B&H has always been great to me. I would call them and ask for a swap. You spent your money. Sounds like a return for some reason and that could be OK, but why take the chance?

Also ask them to eat the return shipping. Let them sell the "Open Box" at their store.

Be polite but forceful.

George
Old March 4th, 2006, 10:43 AM   #3
New Boot

I just took delivery yesterday from an Ebay camera store. It's always stressful to make such a big purchase on Ebay but the camera arrived as described with the seal intact. Inside everything was in plastic bags except the cables and batter charger. Everything on the camera was set to auto with the time and date not set. In fact when I powered up for the first time I was greeted by the set time and date menu. I think you got a return or store demo and I think you're entitiled to a replacement.
Best Regards, Chris..
Old March 4th, 2006, 11:02 AM   #4
Sponsor: VASST

I couldn’t agree more! Personally, I do not agree with B&H’s practice. This is why stores have floor models. There is never ANY reason to EVER ship an open box to a customer! As far as I’m concerned an open box that has been unpacked and repacked is a floor model and I expect to get it at a discount or give me a sealed box. This is one of the things I don’t like about B&H.

I would definitely call them about it. This has happened to me before form B&H. I was told that the item may have been opened for a customer to look at but the customer didn’t buy it and so it was returned to the stock room and I was assured it wasn’t use or reconditioned (they looked up the model number for me in their inventory). They also said they would be happy to replace it with another unit if I felt strongly about it.

The problem here is, YOU must pay the shipping to return the “open box”! So why did you buy at B&H? No advantage at all. If you do decide to send it back, explain to B&H that you want them to pay the return shipping. You ordered a new factory sealed unit and got a used unit. Since you did not get the unit you ordered, it is their responsibility to replace it free of charge. Like George said, let them sell the open box at their store and not to an unsuspecting internet customer!

Before you call, make sure you know what you want to do. If you want to send it back, you will be without a camera for a while, while they receive it, process the return, and send out another. You can also have them send one out immediately but they will charge your credit card and then debit your card when you return the one you have. This could take a while. Or you can make the case that an open box with the contents modified is a floor model and ask for a discount. This way you get to keep the unit you have. This is why I say, be sure you know what you want them to do before you call so you are not making a snap decision on the phone.

B&H is a great dealer and I continue to buy from them but this is one practice that really pisses me off.

~jr
Old March 4th, 2006, 12:10 PM   #5
Major Player

So you haven't contacted the retailer yet to discuss your concerns, but you have decided to write a review here prior to the completion of the arbitration process.

You might want to see how they perform before taking your message to the streets....

To ask what to do here is not required. You know exactly what to do if you purchased a new product and had it substituted with used.

Don't you think they deserve the first contact?
Old March 4th, 2006, 12:22 PM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

I completely agree with Jimmy McKenzie. Putting this on a message board is like putting the cart before the horse. There's nothing to be gained and nothing that can help you by posting this here. There is everything to be gained, including results that will satisfy your situation, simply by calling B&H customer service. Please contact B&H first and seek a direct resolution that way. Thread closed until then.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old March 5th, 2006, 07:26 PM   #7
Regular Crew

UPDATE: Question about B&H Photo

This is an update to my previous thread: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=62073

Everyone - My intentions were not to "bash" B&H in any way what so ever. My intentions were to see how Sony package and ships their new products. I have purchased many items from B&H including my last camera and have never had any issues at all! I was simply wondering if the manufacturer packages their products differently now. Every manufacturer is cutting cost these days. I could not contact B&H yet because they closed at 1:00pm on Friday and did not re-open until Sunday. I thought I might save the hassle of calling B&H if this is how the new units are shipped from Sony!

I spoke with B&H today regarding the issue. I must say, they are above and beyond a top-notch organization. Upon speaking with the customer service rep and explaining the situation, he was very apologetic and immediately offered me a return or an exchange. There was no run-around about having to pay to return ship, restock fee, etc. He politely offered me a return or an exchange which I chose to exchange. He sent me a UPS return label for the "open box" item. He then proceeded to order the exchange model and included next day shipping free of charge so I will receive the camera on Tuesday morning.

Again, no hassles what so ever. He was very apologetic and offered no excuses, simply an apology!

I have supported B&H in the past and will continue to support B&H in the future. They have been a great company for me and all my purchases. I have never had any issue with them in the past nor do I consider this to be an issue! Again, I was not trying to discredit B&H Photo in any way. I was simply trying to determine how items are packaged and shipped.

B&H has earned my business in the past and will continue to have my business in the future. Great Job B&H - Thank You.
Old March 5th, 2006, 09:35 PM   #8
Trustee

For the record, I never thought you were bashing. And I don't agree that you owed them a call them to explain your problem before posting about it. But as a site sponsor, one hopes they will pay extra attention to customer service, as in giving you the hassle-free exchange that they did for you. I'm very happy to see B&H stand behind their customer service. I purchased my Z1U from them, it was a good shopping experience, and we want to know that we can depend on them again to be a reputable on-line merchant of the top tier.
Old March 5th, 2006, 11:15 PM   #9
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Roper
And I don't agree that you owed them a call them to explain your problem before posting about it.
The thing is, posting about it before contacting them solves absolutely nothing. It accomplishes nothing. Nobody else can possibly assist with this except B&H. Contacting them is what actually produces helpful results. That's the main point here. Thanks,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1