DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   Using an A1 with a Z1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/62246-using-a1-z1.html)

Joe Lumbroso March 6th, 2006 01:39 PM

Using an A1 with a Z1

This may have been brought up before but I couldn't find anything on it. Does anyone have any comments on using a A1 as a secondary camera to the Z1? Does the A1 do Cineframe 24?

Jeremy Rochefort March 6th, 2006 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Lumbroso
This may have been brought up before but I couldn't find anything on it. Does anyone have any comments on using a A1 as a secondary camera to the Z1?

You shouldn't have a problem with this - the Z1 has ccd's as opposed to the cmos on the A1 - be sure to white balance both to match color as close as possible.

I would also be interested to know what the US price difference between the FX1 and A1 are. Here in SA the two are not very far apart in pricing. This makes buying the FX1 as opposed to the A1 purchase a no-brainer.

Cheers

Robert M Wright March 6th, 2006 02:28 PM

In the US, the price difference between an A1 and FX1 is about $1000(USD) new. That's with the current $500(USD) rebate deal on the A1.

Jeremy Rochefort March 6th, 2006 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert M Wright
In the US, the price difference between an A1 and FX1 is about $1000(USD) new. That's with the current $500(USD) rebate deal on the A1.

Suppose I can look it up but what are the two retailing for - without rebates

Cheers

Alex Thames March 6th, 2006 03:34 PM

The Sony HVR-A1U is retailing for about $2,500+ without the $500 rebate.

Graeme Fullick March 8th, 2006 02:54 AM

Joe,

I have both these cameras and use them together, so I guess that I am the best person to answer your questions. Firstly the A1 does have cineframe, but as I am in a PAL country my A1 has Cineframe 25. Unfortunately I cannot comment on the NTSC version, but there are heaps of owners on the A1 forum who will be able to help I am sure.

The 2 cameras intercut very well in decent light. You will be very surprised by the quality of the A1 in good light - it is a very nice camera - very close to if not equal to the Z1. Where it does not shine is where the sun doesn't shine. In low light the Z1 is a lot better - and you would be dissappointed in intercutting the 2 in a low light environment. Use good lights and you have a winning team - no lights and you will have the Z1 only - which by the way is much better in low light than most people seem to think!

Tom Hardwick March 8th, 2006 04:26 AM

I'd go with Graeme - many people seem to be buying the Z1 and having the HC1 as backup. The HC1 saves wear and tear on your main cam, and is cheaper than Sony's HDV deck to boot.

tom.

Joe Lumbroso March 8th, 2006 02:43 PM

Thanks for your input Graeme and everyone. Fortunately I'm shooting mostly outdoors and lit sets at this point.