Uncompressed HD capture from FX1-Z1, output to Aspect HD in real time - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old March 9th, 2006, 02:50 PM   #16
Inner Circle

i think it must be possible if people who create such devices stop to think about video.
after all a component signal is made of 3 signals, so why not use 3 harddisks with 3 cheaps digitizer that delivers a 10 bit signal encoded to serial signal.
after all SATA is serial too , so it should be easy to clock 1920x1080x10 bits
(about 20mbit) compressed by some IT chip (should go well under 15mbit).
you put 3 converter like this into a box, no need for complex codec or OS, you just write raw bits to disk, and get them out the same way.
If you need to store some info about the clip, just add some memory (like a 4mb compact flash), so you get time/date/start/stop/length/any other parameter you like.
people in the telecom world excel at lossless compression of binary streams and dozen of chip exists , capable of handling gigabit of bandwith.
a 10 bit analog/digital converter is not uncommon either.
the cost of all of this hardware should probably not exceed 800$.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2006, 05:04 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Forgetting uncompressed and looking at tapeless storage options. The thought had crossed my mind that if any of these kind of devices shipped with a Firewire port, you could use HDV Rack on this thing and with 800x480 resolution it could serve as your viewfinder as well since they definately seem small enough to mount on a camera. That might make Focus drop the prices on their firestore drives. If you have patience, the next 2-3 years are going to be pretty exciting for indie video/film production

http://news.zdnet.com/2300-9584_22-6047702-1.html
John McGinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2006, 07:52 PM   #18
Trustee

John, Toshiba makes a very small "laptop" PC - size of a small pocketbook. Very lightweight.

It is available *now*.

Aside from smallish keypad buttons and small screen (in absolute dimensions), it can easily be camera-mounted to capture HDV over firewire. $1600 street, last I checked.

And then of course we have Firestrore and Citidisk:

http://www.shining.com/products/tota.../citidisk_hdv/

But we need not just m2t, but quality mic inputs and real-time avi Cineform Aspect HD capture.

That's if we forget about green screen work and stay with cam's MPEG compressed output over firewire.

Last edited by Alex Raskin; March 9th, 2006 at 09:45 PM.
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2006, 04:28 PM   #19
Regular Crew

What are the software tools like at 'gaining' back the extra data that would have been in the uncompressed stream, getting rid of artifacts and boosting to 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 like the Nattress tools?

----------------------
www.inasinglemoment.com - Our premiere feature film
Old April 3rd, 2006, 11:25 AM   #20
Trustee

OK, so in the end I decided to forego mobility and ability to record in Aspect HD format, in favor of clean uncompressed video that allows easy greenscreen matte pull.

I built such system, see results and photo comparisons on my site: www.PrimeHD.com

Do you have a Varicam in NY/NNJ area? Please let me know - we may be able to do a uncompressed capture test. Should look excellent (but I'd rather see it in practice that theorize :)
Old August 31st, 2006, 05:45 PM   #21
Regular Crew

FX1 PAL - Wafian

Hi
Someone tell me please, can Wafian capture the pre-compression analog feed from Pal's FX1 camera in (1440x1080) 25i mode? Is this possible?
Anton Galimzyanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2006, 06:16 PM   #22
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Technically it should be able to, as it can within Prospect HD Ingest, however Wafian hasn't listed that mode. Give them a call or email. www.wafian.com
Old August 31st, 2006, 08:35 PM   #23
Regular Crew

hdv to hd sdi from Convergent design

Has anyone gotten a preview on this? Does it move us further along to a cost effective solution? especially the M version with hdmi support as this becomes more widespread???

Sharyn

Convergent Design

(Colorado Springs, CO, Sep.1, 2006) Convergent Design announces today two affordable products aimed at HDV, DV and AVCHD conversion to HD/SD-SDI. The first product, HD-Connect SI (derived from the successful HD-Connect LE) converts 1394 (HDV) stream and RS-422 deck-control inputs to HD/SD-SDI stream and 1394 deck-control outputs. The second converter, HD-Connect MI, retains the deck-control conversion and represents an entirely new class of stream conversion: HDMI to HD/SD-SDI.

HD-Connect SI, the HDV to HD/SD-SDI converter, works with all HDV devices from Sony, JVC and Canon, including 1080i24F and 720p24 formats. This powerful box decodes the compressed HDV stream (sent over 1394) and converts it to HD/SD-SDI. HD-Connect MI, on the other hand, takes the uncompressed HD/SD 4:2:2 video (and stereo audio) from HDMI, adds the time code from a 1394 connection, and multiplexes all this data into an HD/SD-SDI stream.

HD-Connect MI, the HDMI to HD/SD-SDI converter, operates with the JVC BR-HD50 and Sony HVR-M25U deck as well as the Sony HDR-HC3 HDV consumer camcorder and the upcoming AVCHD camcorders (with HDMI output). By making use of the decoding capability already inside the deck or camcorder, this small and versatile box can support HDV, DV and AVCHD formats.

HD-Connect MI users can enjoy significant cost savings, not only in the initial purchase of the box, but also by eliminating the need to purchase additional decks and converters. For example, when connected to the Sony M25U deck, users can play back DV tapes as well as 1080i and 720p tapes (except 1080i24F and 720p24). Conversely, using Firewire capture methods (Native HDV editing), users are forced to purchase a second deck (to support JVC tapes), as 720p HDV will not stream out the Firewire port of a 1080i deck. Users that need both 1080i and 720p support can potentially save 3x the cost of the HD-Connect MI box.

Both products feature RS-422 to 1394 deck control translation which has been extensively tested on Avid, Final Cut Pro, Premiere, Quantel and Media100 systems. This deck control translation allows offline / online batch capture to an NLE. Likewise, both converters provide 1080i ↔ 720p cross conversion and downscale to SD in anamorphic, letterbox or edge-crop modes.

HDV and AVCHD editors now have affordable tools to convert long-GOP compressed formats into easily editable I-Frame-based CODECs such as DVCProHD and DNxHD. These real-time conversions can eliminate all the headaches and long render times associated with native-format editing. Users no longer need to change their workflow: They just need to upgrade their connection. Additionally, tape dubs from HDV, DV or AVCHD to HDCAM, DVCProHD or DigiBeta entail only a single coax connection via the HD/SD-SDI cable that carries video, audio and time-code.

Both HD-Connect SI and HD-Connect MI carry an MSRP of $995 (USD). The SI will ship in September and the MI in October. You can see both products at the Convergent Design booth at IBC (Stand 7.703) or visit www.convergent-design.com
Sharyn Ferrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2006, 08:52 PM   #24
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Sharyn,

That solution doesn't bypass the MPEG compression in camera, it useful for those who want to ingest with HDSDI from HDV, but there is no quality gained. The thread is discussing analog capture as that output (when capturing live) is pre-compression, elevating the camera's output quality.
Old September 1st, 2006, 08:17 AM   #25
Regular Crew

HI David
At first that is what I THOUGHT also, but if you read the brochure carefully on the MI on their site there is an interesting feature, where it can take the HDMI output uncompressed from the camcorder and convert this to HD SDI.
All this of course assumes that the HDMI output can come before the information is compressed to be written to the tape in the camcorder.

Other alternative might be the hd10ad
http://www.computermodules.com/pdf/hd10ad.pdf

Sharyn
Old September 1st, 2006, 08:43 AM   #26
Trustee

Sharyn, the only uncompressed output of Sony Z1U is analog component out.
Old September 1st, 2006, 09:02 AM   #27
Regular Crew

So then would the AJA HD10ava work?

My thinking was that Possibly by moving the analog to HD SDI out of the pc/notebook, it might be possible to get a more portable system that would just be digital vs using an analog capture card. Maybe we are back to wanting pci docking stations ;-) with HD SDI cards

As crazy as it sounds someone could probably build a HD sdi to SATA interface, and get the speed and the connection.
Sharyn
Old September 1st, 2006, 01:03 PM   #28
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Galimzyanov
Someone tell me please, can Wafian capture the pre-compression analog feed from Pal's FX1 camera in (1440x1080) 25i mode? Is this possible?
Hi Anton -

Yes, the Wafian HR-1 can record 1080 25i from the FX1's component feed.

Jeff
Jeff Youel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1