Z1 and portabrace raincover at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old March 8th, 2006, 05:50 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Z1 and portabrace raincover

Does anyone use the portabrace RS-MFZ1?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

I was sondering wether it's a snugfit or rather a baggy item, if the ergonomics are ok and wether all functions still are accessible.

Can it be compared to the petrol raincover ?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation
Which is a lot cheaper.

Also, i heard a lot of good things about bhphotovideo. Is that also true for european orders. Are there extra taxes to be taken in account since they seam to be a lot cheaper than the local reseller.
Frank Feijen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 10:32 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Rainjacket

I have used the PortaBrace on my Z1 for almost a year. It is a real PITA to get it on and off the camera. It is a "baggy" fit. However it does keep the camera perfectly dry. I am happy with mine.
Fred Tims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 01:20 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Fred,

Thanks for the reply!

Some more questions:
Do you need to take the cover on and off regularly?
The sales person told me you could just leave it on always, as a constant protection against scratches and sunlight.

Unfortunately there aren't a lot of pictures to be found on the net (the portabrace-site doesn't even mention the existence of this cover). Have you got - by chance - some pictures laying around, closeup or in action that you would like to share?
Old March 8th, 2006, 01:51 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi Frank

I think all the control are too small and close together to leave thes rain covers on all the time.. These cameras are not like th efull size shulder cams...

I have the Petrol rain cover for my FX1 and it is very nice.. but only useful in the rain, where it offers great protection... the down side is that it seriously limits access to the controls, as does the Portabrace.

cheers
Gareth
Gareth Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 02:34 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I use the Petrol Raincover with my Z1. It is cheaper than the PortaBrace and it's a raincover. It fits my Z1 like a baggy glove but is a little hard to put on/take off in a hurry an gets in the way of the zoom/focus rings. Because of this, I only use the raincover when I'm expecting serious rain or hanging out under a waterfall. In light rain I throw my Members Only jacket over it.
Old March 10th, 2006, 05:22 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I'm planning to rent a Z1 on monday for only one day and the weather forecast perdicts rain. In that case, it's either I'm not going to rent at all or I'd have to get a rain jacket. I hope it's not cloudy monday!!!
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2006, 11:05 PM   #7
Major Player

The new issue of DV magazine, pg 45 offers a free raincover with the purchase of a Petrol HDV bag. The offer is good untill 4.30.06.

The raincover shown is on the Canon XL Hd cam. It looks pretty nice.

The bag and raincovers looks like great items to use for travel.

While I don't take out my Fx-1 on rainy days, I've also been thinking it might be nice to carry one in case of a surprise shower.

Has anyone done a diy project to make a raincover? I was thinking of getting some clear pvc covering and glueing the open ends to make a quick homebuilt cover.
John Kang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2006, 11:05 PM   #8
Major Player

The new issue of DV magazine, pg 45 offers a free raincover with the purchase of a Petrol HDV bag. The offer is good untill 4.30.06.

The raincover shown is on the Canon XL Hd cam. It looks pretty nice.

The bag and raincovers looks like great items to use for travel.

While I don't take out my Fx-1 on rainy days, I've also been thinking it might be nice to carry one in case of a surprise shower.

Has anyone done a diy project to make a raincover? I was thinking of getting some clear pvc covering and glueing the open ends to make a quick homebuilt cover.
John Kang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006, 07:00 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I tried it on and didn't think too much of it, it really limits the way of handling the camera and i sure wouldn't be able to leave it on for alltimeprotection. Guess i'll save me the money and go fot the plastic bag with tape option. (since dust will be my greatest enemy)
Old March 20th, 2006, 12:36 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I have a Kata CRC-15 which is designed for the FX1/Z1u and it fits nicely, though I have yet to use it in the rain. If you want something that's foolproof and used by the military for keeping out rain and sand, take a look at this http://epiccam.com/ and click on the FX1 link.
Shawn Redford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 07:49 AM   #11
Major Player

Sorry for sounding like I know nothing but with the M2 I am thinking you would only want a manual focus lens, is this correct?? Thanks for all the educational tips helps me out allot.
John M. McCloskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 12:53 PM   #12
Major Player

Sorry for the last reply was meant to be on the M2 thread
John M. McCloskey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1