STOKED... but need to know what battery is included... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old March 13th, 2006, 03:44 PM   #1
Regular Crew

STOKED... but need to know what battery is included...

Quick question...
First of all, I just ordered the Z1 w/ the HDV deck from B&H and am veryy excited. I have a shoot on this coming Saturday, but it should be in before then. My big question is, what batteries are included? Is there a large capacity or just a small capacity battery? Thanks in advance.

-Rob
Old March 13th, 2006, 04:12 PM   #2
Major Player

Just a small battery is included- you better order a larger capacity or two. Kurth
Kurth Bousman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2006, 07:17 PM   #3
Wrangler

Yeah, don't expect to do much shooting with the included battery :-) My NPF-970's probably give between 4 and 5 hours continuous shooting with both viewfinder and LCD screen on (never run one completely dead in non-stop use). I got two, plus a 960 I already had, so I don't worry much about running out of power most of the time.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2006, 07:56 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Rob, I usually get between 2-3 hrs out of the included NP-F570 with the LCD running. I too would recommend picking up more battery power.

I got a used NP-F960 off B&H the other day. I haven't read a lot about them anywhere online until I saw it on B&H. When I searched for it on Sony's web site my results would all redirect to the 970 page so I just assumed it was good to go. My assumption, based on Boyd's comment is that wasn't a terribly bad decision after all.

In anycase, I'm hoping that between the 570, 960 and my AB HyTRON 50 I'll have 10+ hours of shooting at a time.
Old March 13th, 2006, 08:10 PM   #5
Regular Crew

awesome guys, thats what I needed to know. One of my professors seemed to think that it would come with both because with he got his it did. I guess I'll be checking out a large battery from the university for next weekend!
Old March 13th, 2006, 08:11 PM   #6
Wrangler

The NPF-960 was the largest capacity battery Sony made for a long time. It runs my VX-2000 for a good 8 hours! When Sony introduced the FX-1 they also rolled out the NPF-970 which has a little more capacity. My 960 is nearly 4 years old so that might affect life, but my NPF-970 lasts noticeably longer, maybe another hour.

Based on what you're saying, I guess Sony has discontinued the 960. Wow, do you really think that little 570 will run 2 or 3 hours? Honestly, I never even used mine but based on its size and weight relative to the 970 that's hard to believe. Or maybe my estimate of 970 life is too conservative? I'm talking about a scenario filming a live performance for over three hours non-stop, then capturing the video with rewinding, etc. I don't think the 970 will last more than about 5 hours in this scenario and I'd expect the 570 to last only a fraction of that.
Old March 14th, 2006, 01:15 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
The NPF-960 was the largest capacity battery Sony made for a long time. It runs my VX-2000 for a good 8 hours! When Sony introduced the FX-1 they also rolled out the NPF-970 which has a little more capacity. My 960 is nearly 4 years old so that might affect life, but my NPF-970 lasts noticeably longer, maybe another hour.

Based on what you're saying, I guess Sony has discontinued the 960. Wow, do you really think that little 570 will run 2 or 3 hours? Honestly, I never even used mine but based on its size and weight relative to the 970 that's hard to believe. Or maybe my estimate of 970 life is too conservative? I'm talking about a scenario filming a live performance for over three hours non-stop, then capturing the video with rewinding, etc. I don't think the 970 will last more than about 5 hours in this scenario and I'd expect the 570 to last only a fraction of that.

Looks like the 970 is the one to get. I've also heard that the knockoff brand batteries don't last as long--few extra bucks for the sony but if it's got a longer lifespan it's probably worth it.
Old March 14th, 2006, 01:28 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob DuBroc
w/ the HDV deck from B&H
Let us know how you like the deck.
Glenn Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2006, 07:42 AM   #9
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob DuBroc
I've also heard that the knockoff brand batteries don't last as long--few extra bucks for the sony but if it's got a longer lifespan it's probably worth it.
I suppose there are a variety of 3rd party brands, but when I got my camera B&H didn't have the sony 970's in stock so I got a Power 2000. So far as I can tell, it lasts about the same amount of time as my genuine Sony 970. But I would have prefered to get the Sony if they were in stock at the time.

OTOH, I got two Sony NPF-960's when I bought my VX-2000 back in 2001. One of them died without warning after about two years but the other one is still going strong. Go figure...
Old March 14th, 2006, 09:10 AM   #10
Major Player

..and there's been some reports of 3rd party batteries not functioning in the z1. Probably they were ebay offerings. Kurth
Kurth Bousman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2006, 10:38 AM   #11
Major Player

Well I brought my generic 970 battery for my fx-1 from ebay and it's been working great.

I get a readout of 370 min. with the lcd monitor used. It comes with a battery charger and the cost was under $50.00.

I just check and can't find the guy who was selling it. I've only come up with one guy selling a generic 970 for 47.99.

My question from a different post. Anyone have issues with charging their generics and using it with their camcorders? This is in reference to a short that caused several FX-1 and Z1 users to send it for repairs.
John Kang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2006, 02:17 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
Wow, do you really think that little 570 will run 2 or 3 hours?
I didn't consider the battery issue until after I had my Z1 and had already spent far to much of my non-existent budget. I had to shoot my documentary entirely with the 570 for the first day. I got an hour and 40 minutes of footage off that battery. The shoot was about 4 and a half hours long. I'd say I got about 140 minutes (give or take a few). Is it possible that it had a little extra life in it running off the first charge? I haven't used it much since. I tried being careful to avoid running the camera when I wasn't shooting but I had the LCD on when I was.
Old March 14th, 2006, 11:28 PM   #13
Major Player

I have had a couple of 960s go south, but, they are four years old. They start with lots of time on the viewfinder indicator, and they die 10 minutes later. They just quit recycling. I have replaced them with 970s. Big batteries are worth it. Sony brand name costs more but you can never have too much reliability or too many batteres. I run lights, clamshell decks and cameras,rotating four batteries. And, they really do last four hours plus on a Z1.
Jack D. Hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 05:51 AM   #14
Major Player

Well, the small battery that comes with the FX-1 does last about 21/2 to 3 hours.

I've used mine for about that much time. I think with the LCD running, it gives me a read out of over 170mins of battery time.

You know, until this post, I never fully thought about reading the battery display to see how many minutes are given fully charged.

So, a new question. How often have you used your Sony brand 970 batteries and when did you notice the battery going bad. Ex: 2 years of using it with a recharge once every week, etc...

Curious to see how many recharges my generic battery will do compared to the name brand.
John Kang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 11:15 AM   #15
Major Player

Battery Time

Hi John:

The big batteries, the 960s - now replaced by Sony with a 970 and slightly more amps - will last a very long time. Four years included constant use, in decks, lights and cameras. Ultimately, they wear out, and will not take a charge. But they are strong and reliable, and at the end, the 960s that died owed me nothing.

Answering your specific question: I have never kept precise records. But ususally if they are down to anything below 200 minutes, I put 'em on the charger and don't wait until they run down. These are lithium batteries, and you should not wait until they are fully discharged. Because I recycle through four batteries, each battery is getting charged 2-3 times a month. Two of are using power for cameras and decks, and sometimes lights.

On a clamshell deck, run time is about 230 minutes. On a 20 watt Sony light, about 90 minutes. On a PD-150/170 many hours, over 400 minutes. The Z1 eats power, especially because I use the LCD constantly. There the meter runs probably in the neighborhood of 240 minutes or around four hours.

If I am shooting all day, I count on using two batteres. The smaller 570 run the camera fine, but you won't get any long times. I am conservative on these: on count on about 60-70 minutes of time.

I would be interested to hear what anybody else has experienced.

Jack
Jack D. Hubbard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1