Compare HVR-ZI sd footage to PD 170 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old March 17th, 2006, 12:58 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Compare HVR-ZI sd footage to PD 170

I know high definition footage can knock off my socks but does the Standard Def output of the HVR-ZI look $1000+ better than the PD 150 or PD 170? It would seem too soon to go High Def since most people don't own the TV sets
and so can't appreciate your new investment in high definition. Your input since, I am looking at making a purchase.

Thanks,

Ralph Bowman
Ralph Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 01:56 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Ralph

If you are after SD 4:3 footage then the answer to your question qwould be 'No'... the Z1 does not give $1000 superior pictures....

If you want to use it in native 16:9, as it is really intended, then the shots are far better than the widescreen generated by the PD170.

You could always get an FX1 and a Beachtek and save your $1000.

Regards

Gareth
Gareth Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 10:27 AM   #3
Major Player

If it were me (and I just replaced my GL2's with a Z1's) I would make the jump to HDV. Shoot everything in HDV, then if the client wants it in SD, just downconvert on the fly to SD and edit in SD. Then you basically have an offline edit of the HD version should you ever need it (or the client wants to pay for it).
Patrick Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 09:14 AM   #4
Sponsor: VASST

Obviously this must be subjective because even $1000 is worth a different amount to different people. I would have to agree that for SD footage alone, the $1000 is not worth it since you are really paying the $1000 for an HDV camera with higher resolutions CCD’s, glass, etc.

I will say that footage shot in HDV and downconverted to SD is absolutely gorgeous and it noticeably better quality than footage shot in SD. This is because you are starting with more resolution so there is more information in the SD image in the end.

I would think of the Z1U has an investment that pays off today and more tomorrow. You will get better quality SD today. You will also get more money for your PD-170 today than you will tomorrow (when no one will want to buy an SD camera) and you will get much better quality tomorrow when your clients want HD. It’s a win-win scenario and an investment that keeps getting better.

~jr

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1