External Mic - XLR ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old March 17th, 2006, 10:38 AM   #1
Regular Crew

External Mic - XLR ?

I just purchased the Z1u and an AT 897 external microphone. After reading the instructions to the camera:

"If you connect a device other than PHANTOM compatible devices, set the PHANTOM switch to OFF. Otherwise the connected device may be damaged."

I thought I understood the Phantom powered microphone stuff before, but now I am confused. Does that mean a mic with phantom power is or is not a "compatible" device. And assuming I am using the above microphone, should the PHANTOM power be set to ON??

Thanks Brian
Brian Jacobsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 11:41 AM   #2
Major Player

Brian,

As I am sure you found out quickly with a pair of headphones, the 897 requires phantom power (unless you like to use AA's). Flip the Phantom power switch on when you use that mic with the Z1. Without phantom power, the mic has no power to operate.

On the other hand, a lot of mics (normally no condensor mics) do not need phantom power to operate. Sony is doing a bit of CYA and telling you that turning on phantom to those mics may damage themm. In truth, I have never heard of that happening, but I assume they warn you for a reason.
Patrick Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 12:09 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Patrick,

Thanks for the explanation

Brian
Brian Jacobsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 06:57 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Hey Patrick (and anyone else reading) ,

Just so my brain is straight on this, I have an AT 897 as well. I've always wanted to mount an omnidirectional mic as well as my AT 897 for run and gun reception interviews and such. Because the AT 897 is so directional, I wanted to use a 'plain jane' omnidirectional mic as well to catch the ambient sound. I to have red the WARNING about blowing up microphones and I wanted to make sure I understood this line before I go get a microphone for the ambient sound.

I ask this as my Z1 is somewhere between her and New York on a UPS truck. When will Christmas arrive...........

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1