Compressed WMV Z1 footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old March 22nd, 2006, 02:28 AM   #1
Major Player

Compressed WMV Z1 footage

I was playing around with codecs in Premiere Pro 1.5. This video was shot in HDV, downconverted to SD, de-interlaced, slightly colour-corrected then exported into a Windows Media 8 720x480 1024k 2-pass wmv file (that's probably the most ridiculous sentence I've ever written).

How watchable do you think the clip is? Being 2.5 minutes and 20MB, that's about 8MB/minute. I tend to think of bitrates as values, so is there a better codec I can "spend" at?

http://www.mumps.ca/video/mumps/vert...compressed.wmv

(Mac users, I think you can use Winamp)
Old March 22nd, 2006, 04:39 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Mark,

I think the footage looks excellent, a good size to quality ratio, I've found the wmv codec to be very good, I won't comment on the music :D

John.
John Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2006, 06:33 AM   #3
Major Player

The video is great - I can only imagine what it looks like in HD!!!!

As for the music.... well, I can say I dont like it (so thats my opinion, and you cant touch that) Everything else is fine. Seems like the environment was pretty sweet. Good gig I bet?
Leo Pepingco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2006, 12:36 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks, guys. It's too bad WMV isn't very sharp. That's the only thing I like about Quicktime but QT requires such big files to get that way. Maybe I'll try WM9.

Leo, the environment is decent. I've shot there probably 60 times over the past year and I love the place, but the lighting just isn't very good. It was okay for that band's set because they only have two members, but when you get five or six guys on the stage who all need to be evenly lit from head to waist, it just doesn't work out.

And if by "good gig" you mean anything related to pay, unfortunately that's a no, haha. I do lots of free work for bands. Most of the paid work I do now comes from the exposure I've received for doing that free work.

Thanks again for your feedback!
Old March 22nd, 2006, 01:15 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Utley
I was playing around with codecs in Premiere Pro 1.5. This video was shot in HDV, downconverted to SD, de-interlaced, slightly colour-corrected then exported into a Windows Media 8 720x480 1024k 2-pass wmv file (that's probably the most ridiculous sentence I've ever written).

How watchable do you think the clip is? Being 2.5 minutes and 20MB, that's about 8MB/minute. I tend to think of bitrates as values, so is there a better codec I can "spend" at?

http://www.mumps.ca/video/mumps/vert...compressed.wmv

(Mac users, I think you can use Winamp)
I can't open it with Macs
Old March 23rd, 2006, 02:07 PM   #6
New Boot

I think your stuff looks good. Although I couldn't understand the singer. But, the color correction looks good. I'd love to see the footage before color correction. So are they kind of like a "White Stripes" kinda band? lol anyways... nice job.
Old March 23rd, 2006, 02:22 PM   #7
Major Player

WMV and MACs

Do a search in Google for "Flip4Mac"
Tomas Chinchilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 07:40 PM   #8
Major Player

Have any Mac users tried Winamp? I always thought that works, but maybe not.

Daniel, I'm not going to lie, I know next to nothing about colour correction. I basically just made little adjustments until I thought it looked okay. In fact, I didn't even compare the finished one to the original footage to tell if I actually improved the image at all. I'll see about uploading the original if I have time tonight.

The band is from Edmonton. I've taped them three or four times and I'm good friends with them. You should check out their recorded stuff!

http://www.verticalstruts.com

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1