Strange problem with fx1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old March 24th, 2006, 02:53 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Strange problem with fx1

I have the FX1 and i have been using the same tapes since i got it never had any problems with them they are not Sony but they have always given me great results. But lately when i am recording and playing the footage back there are slight pause's within the video, now i don’t know if this is the tape or the camera. it doesn’t always happen only sometimes, once i recorded something played it back and there were about 5 very slight pauses within the space of 15 minutes of the video, they are also for around 1 second each.

Thank you for your help
Jim Rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2006, 02:58 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Jim,

Have you tried cleaning the heads with a cleaning tape? The tapes are available at most video stores.

Mike
Old March 26th, 2006, 08:13 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hello

Thanks for the reply

Do i have to put the tape in and press record or just let the whole tape play through?

Thanks
Old March 26th, 2006, 08:25 AM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rog
or just let the whole tape play through?
Don't do that!!! Follow the instructions exactly as provided with the cleaning tape. Typically you press play and let the tape run for 10 seconds. Also, it's a good idea to get a cleaning tape of the same brand as the other tapes you've been using. Cleaning should not be required very often.

The pauses you mention - are they repeatable at the same spots on the tape? If so then you're probably seeing a dropout.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2006, 09:25 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Jim,

Do you have the manual for your camera? The instructions for cleaning should be in it. If you don't have a manual, you should be able to go to Sonys website and download one.

Mike
Old March 26th, 2006, 12:07 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hello

Thanks for the help

I did have the manual but unfortunately i have miss placed it so I’ll have to try and download a new one, the only thing that is inside with the cleaning tape is all in chinese

Boyd

That is what is strange i rewound the tape to see if it was happening in the same spot and it happen in the same spot on the tape 3/4 times in a row. then i rewound the tape again and on the 4th time and there after it had gone. If somehow it is drop outs how can i avoid this? Strange because this has never happen before and i have been using the same make/brand of tapes since i got the camera. Does it make a difference if you are moving around with the camera like if you were running with it or something? But on this occasion the camera was locked down so it can’t be that and on all the other occasions it was locked down as well and still had the same problem

Thanks
Old March 26th, 2006, 02:39 PM   #7
Wrangler

Well that sounds like it might be dirty heads. To play it safe, I would go buy a cleaning tape of the same brand as the other tapes you've been using and not use the Sony. Follow the directions which come with that tape.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2006, 04:05 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks for the advice I’ll get a new tape and let you know

Thanks again

Jim
Old March 26th, 2006, 06:13 PM   #9
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
Don't do that!!! Follow the instructions exactly as provided with the cleaning tape. Typically you press play and let the tape run for 10 seconds.
I honestly can't remember which camcorder I was using a tape on and I noticed it played for 10 seconds and stopped automatically.

Has anyone else noticed this function? Cause if I'm right this is a new deal that's real nice.
Old March 30th, 2006, 02:52 AM   #10
Regular Crew

just like the others are saying, you are getting HDV drop outs. 15 frames where it pauses then plays again.

We have had two FX1's for over a year and had to send both of them in for service a couple of months ago. We had 4 tapes that would not play back at all. You could only see parts of the footage when you hit play and FF or RW and the time code would not be consistent. We do use our cameras in the worst conditions possible though, out in the desert filming race vehicles passing by and its always dusty. Gaffer's tape and Kata bags work ok but the dust still works its way in...

If you are starting to get drop outs I recomend recording about a minute of footage on a new tape then RW and play it back to see that it recorded correctly before shooting. I wish we did that before loosing over 4 hours of footage that can't be replaced. The Sony tech also suggested FF and RW new tapes before using them because the tension usually isn't right when they come from the factory.
Curtis Guise is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1