Problem copying own HDV tape from Canon XL-H1 to Sony FX1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old March 30th, 2006, 01:33 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Problem copying own HDV tape from Canon XL-H1 to Sony FX1

I'm trying to do a firewire copy of one of my own tapes between these two cams. It looks simple enough in the manual, but no matter which way I try it (Canon to Sony or vice versa) it won't work.

It's standard 25i footage, so there shouldn't be a problem there and I've checked and rechecked the settings detailed in the manual.

Any suggestions are welcome. The only thing I don't have right now is a spare 4 pin to 4 pin cable to check that the cable is OK, but it was certainly fine until recently.
Paul Doherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2006, 01:51 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

On the H1, is there a tiny blue light shining next the the FireWire jack?

If not, then the HD downconvert function is on when it shouldn't be.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2006, 02:19 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for suggestion Chris, but downconvert was set to off. Anyway I've managed to borrow a magnifying glass and check the cable and one of the pins is noticeably bent, so it looks like that is the culprit. It won't push back into place, so I've ordered a couple of new cables.

Thanks again for your help and apologies for not thinking to borrow the magnifying glass before I posted.
Paul Doherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2006, 01:20 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Paul,
Actually your post is a great contibution. Keeping a magnifying glass handy is a great idea. Ray
Ray Boltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 05:26 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for the comments Ray - it helps make me feel a bit less stupid!

The new firewire cable arrived today, so I plugged in and copied across without any problems, so clearly that bent pin was the culprit.

It does of course confirm what has been noted elsewhere on the forums - that copying standard interlaced footage from an XL-H1 to an FX1 is not a problem.
Paul Doherty is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1