FX1, timecodes, workflow and consistent re-logging at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old April 1st, 2006, 02:31 PM   #1
Regular Crew

FX1, timecodes, workflow and consistent re-logging

Hi All,

Forgive me if this is a real numbskull question but I am new at this game (although enjoying it very much!)

My issue is this. I log tapes in Pinnacle editon, edit etc and then when the job is done I want to clear the logged tapes off the drive but keep the project data so if needed I can re-open the project, re-log the tapes and do more work on it. Only in an emergency you understand, but clients can say one thing and then change their minds as we know.

Generally, I log the entire tape from start to finish to save wear on the camera heads, then select clips and utilise them in the timeline.

My questions is this:

I understand the FX1 does not generate a timecode compared to the Z1 (or somesuch). Therefore, when re-logging a tape after deletion, will the project automatically work out what clips I have used from the tape relative to the images on it, by reading some kind of code unique to each frame, or will it just count the number of frames from the start of the log and generate the clips that way?

Am I making sense?

If it finds the exact same frames on the tapes to generates the clips from then the project will re-build as it was before, but if it is to do with the start point, then the project will re-build with all the clips slightly out of sync and be trashed.

And if the latter, should I record a few seconds of colour bars on the tapes and make sure all logs start exactly from the first frame after the bars to ensure repeatability?

Timecodes are a big black area for me- I am pretty sure I have not mastered editions logging section yet either :-(

Any help greatly appreciated or I will end up with terrabytes of storage as I'll be too scared to delete anything in case it becomes impossible to re-open a project.

See you,

Stuart
Stuart Boreham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2006, 05:25 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Is it just me, or does nobody at all have an answer to this? :-(
Stuart Boreham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2006, 07:56 AM   #3
Major Player

I'm not sure I understand your question, but I've understood that all DV camcorders (HD or otherwise) generated "timecodes" on tapes. Now, as the tape is being used for the first time, a timecode might be reset to "zero" if there is a dead gap before turning the camera back on. That could create some problems in capturing.

That's why it's always a good practice to "black" a tape before using it in a camera. You can use a deck or your camcorder, with the lens cap on, to record black and generate timecode. When you're finished, your video and audio will still record just as well, but you'll have an established timecode on the tape that can not be altered (or RE-generated).

So, I guess, in answer to your question, your captured frames will still be linked to their respective timecode. I'm not as advanced on "logging" and edit decision lists and such as I should be, but timecodes and the frames they're associated with don't change.
www.elpilon.com
Edward Slonaker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1