Cant decide on mic (even after reading other threads) advice requested at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old April 13th, 2006, 09:44 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Cant decide on mic (even after reading other threads) advice requested

I have a FX1. I have read a lot of the posts here regarding on camera microphones and I just cant decide what I should buy. I am looking at either the Sony ECMMSD1, RØDE VideoMic or the Sennheiser MKE300. They are all around the same price point.

The built in mic is omni directional as is the Sony ECMMSD1. (You can select from 90° to 120° with the ECMMSD1) With the other two above and most shotgun type mics you are directional and the side sounds are reduced.

What do you gain or lose by not having more area picked up?

Are there certain types of situations where you want one or the other?

I do not do weddings I basically do family videos, birthday parties, some promotional videos for companies needing videos for home shows, etc., and a new client that is a semi pro auto racer and so far he hired me to video and photograph a recent race and one upcoming.

I forgot to mention I have a Beachtek unit with 2 xlr jacks and phantom power, so maybe I should be looking at an xlr mic??

I really appreciate your input.

Last edited by Darrin Altman; April 13th, 2006 at 11:12 AM.
Darrin Altman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2006, 06:39 PM   #2
Trustee

You might want to look into a wireless system that accomodates a handheld mic with an omni pickup. You could put that mic on a table amidst partygoers or hand it to people being interviewed. If you get a system that has a transmitter that plugs into the end of a handheld mic, you can switch between omni and cardiod depending on your circumstances. A shotgun isn't the best indoors due to low-frequency reflections and an on-cam mic is too far from the action in most circumstances. Go wireless and you can accomplish the most important thig with mics...get them close to the sound source.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2006, 08:47 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Marcus for the ideas. I really hadnt given wireless to much thought but I will look into some of those options.

Darrin
Darrin Altman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2006, 04:18 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin Altman
maybe I should be looking at an xlr mic??
Yes.

I'm not doing weddings either (sounds like we're doing similar work), and so far I've just hired a wireless kit when needed. I have invested in a Sanken COS-11 lav mic (on a wire) and a CS-1 shotgun. Not the standard Sony ECM-77 and Sennheiser MK66, but ProKit (the supplier) was keen I should try them and perhaps leave the Sony/Senn stable, and I'm glad I did. Clean sound, invisible mics and a good price.

When I first started, I got an ECM-55 for about £40 off eBay. Couldn't find a decent rifle at a bargain price (mics are like lenses in many ways - invest in a good one for life). Ended up selling on the ECM-55 (it sounded great, but a big trashcan can clipped to the victim's apparel), and after ProKit, passing on the ECM-77 which I'd used in a former life. It was good, colourful, sounded like a PD150 looks. If you see what I mean.

So... After a Lav and a Rifle, the next mic should be an "icecream cone" reporter mic, again on a wire. Still working on that one.
Matt Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2006, 09:37 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Daviss
Yes.

I'm not doing weddings either (sounds like we're doing similar work), and so far I've just hired a wireless kit when needed. I have invested in a Sanken COS-11 lav mic (on a wire) and a CS-1 shotgun. Not the standard Sony ECM-77 and Sennheiser MK66, but ProKit (the supplier) was keen I should try them and perhaps leave the Sony/Senn stable, and I'm glad I did. Clean sound, invisible mics and a good price.

When I first started, I got an ECM-55 for about £40 off eBay. Couldn't find a decent rifle at a bargain price (mics are like lenses in many ways - invest in a good one for life). Ended up selling on the ECM-55 (it sounded great, but a big trashcan can clipped to the victim's apparel), and after ProKit, passing on the ECM-77 which I'd used in a former life. It was good, colourful, sounded like a PD150 looks. If you see what I mean.

So... After a Lav and a Rifle, the next mic should be an "icecream cone" reporter mic, again on a wire. Still working on that one.
Thanks Matt for your advice. I have a nice "icecream cone" reporter mic made by Shure and it sounds excellent in combination with the Beachtec xlr adapter. I am going to look up what you recommend. Thats another idea, I have a local shop that rents equipment, I think I will rent a few different set ups for some upcoming jobs before I buy something. what you say about buying the right thing the first time and you will have it for a long time.
Darrin Altman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1