Mini-DV? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old April 16th, 2006, 01:29 PM   #16
Major Player

I actally lost track of that thread...Thanks for pointing it out!

Do you think there's the possibility of Sony discontinuing production and support of the VX shortly? Also, when actually working with HD becomes viable, will I have any problems with editing the footage? (I use Premiere 2.0)
What should HDV footage get exported as? Does Premiere have an option to render back to HDV? I've seen reviewers make mention of having to use external software in order to capture the HDV footage, like cineform connect. When I do shoot and have the means of using HD, is capturing HDV as easy in Premiere Pro 2 as capturing normal DV? Would I still be able to watch the m2t HDV files if I captured in HDV on a standard monitor? If so, I assume I wouldn't notice any quality difference.

For instance, if a client wanted their video to be in HDV, could I edit HDV on my PC, even though I cant see the actual difference, or is HDV editing on a SD monitor not possible? HDV and DV/downconverted HDV are both the same filesize, right?

The camera doesn't have a frame mode or Cine-Gamma (Like the DVX100) feature, or does it?

All in all, besides the low-lighting differences, is the FX1 (shooting in DV or downconverting) only an improvment over the VX2100? ie, will I encounter no problems with this camera that I also wouldn't with the VX?

In Premiere what project settings would I use if I were downconverting and I'd shot in 4:3? The normal DV settings or HDV 1080 25 (PAL)? (which is set to 16:9, so when I do capture HDV footage shot in 4:3, what do I do then?)

Does the VX2100 shoot in true 16:9, that makes the angle wider or does it just put black bars at the top and bottom of the frame? If I were to shoot in 16:9 on the VX and watch it on a widescreen TV, would those black bars be gone as with watching widescreen stuff shot on the FX1, or are they a part of the picture?

But I guess the bottom line is that I wont be editing on HDV for at least two years, and by that time I might be upgrading, so if I got this camera, it would be used exclusively for Mini-DV so the parent question (And the last one...I promise :D) which really makes all the difference concerns how much of an image quality difference there is between the FX1 shooting in SD, Mini-DV mode and the VX2100...

Last edited by Aviv Hallale; April 17th, 2006 at 09:29 AM.
Aviv Hallale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1