This lens any good? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old April 25th, 2006, 09:57 AM   #1
Regular Crew

This lens any good?

Has anyone used this lens on the Z1 or FX1. Does it actually clip on the front in place of the hood?
http://www.centuryoptics.com/product...x_wa/6x_wa.htm

Much appreciated

Jeremy
Old April 25th, 2006, 11:48 AM   #2
Wrangler

Yes, I have one. See the following for some discussion: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=58525

You will get very noticeable barrell distortion, but I kind of like that effect in certain situations. You will also lose some sharpness. The bayonet mount is very clever, you line it up with some dots on the front of the lens then twist the outer collar to lock in place. Their filter holder/sunshade is also a good accessory, see the link above for more info.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2006, 01:23 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Boyd

Its the distortion which is bothering me and which leads me to think whether its all worth the extra real estate :)

I've tried the .8 from Sony but wasn't impressed with the additional width. I guess the lenses that are available now are the ones which are going to stay - can't see anyone else making new lenses.

Not too sure about the Raynox - have'nt heard too many great things there either.

What to do? What to do?

Thanks

Jeremy

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1