Z1: Can I use Cineframe 25 over 24 for NTSC? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old April 26th, 2006, 01:53 AM   #1
New Boot

Z1: Can I use Cineframe 25 over 24 for NTSC?

I'm sure this will require a conversion, but what if I were to shoot in Cineframe 25 (which has gotten more positive feedback) in PAL, then convert to NTSC in post? Would this not give a close to 24p look? Or would I just lose resolution? Would people notice the extra frame?

I'm sure someone has to have thought of this, and there's probably a problem in the conversion that would make it less than the best way to go, but it couldn't hurt to ask.

Also someone mentioned that PAL has a better color pallette than NTSC. Would that be possible if one camera did both, as is the case with the Z1?
Elliot Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2006, 02:54 AM   #2
Major Player

Elliot, do a search, this is one of the most discussed issues on this board. I recommend a bit of reading and research.

Shortish answer(s)
  • yes, it would be close to 24p, people would not notice the frame as you'd slow the footage down 4%.
  • you'd need to convert the speed of the sound and correct the pitch.
  • NTSC is not 24p so you'd need to convert it to 2:3 pulldown 60i (unless making a progressive scan DVD),
  • PAL does not have better colour than NTSC but has a different, not better, colour sampling scheme (4:2:0 rather than 4:1:1) but it does have higher resolution.

Even short answer - people have been doing it for years...
Dylan Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2006, 09:00 AM   #3
New Boot

My apologies, chalk it up to newbieness, that was my first post. Thanks for the info, looks like that may not be the solution I'm looking for, not with a 4% slow down.
Elliot Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2006, 10:36 PM   #4
Sponsor: VASST

You can read all about this (Z1 25p to 24p conversion) at the CineForm web site. Shooting 25p and slowing down by 4% is done all the time to convert PAL to 24p. It is a lot better than using CineFrame24 alone unless you have Connect HD which will reverse telecine the Sony CineFrame24 back to 24p for you. Connect HD will also do the 4% slowdown from 25p to 24p for you as well. It’s a great tool to have if you want 24p out of your Z1 because you have both options available.

~jr

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1