DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   Possible problem with FX1?? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/66843-possible-problem-fx1.html)

Jeremy Rochefort May 7th, 2006 09:37 AM

Possible problem with FX1??

I have both FX1 and Z1.

I shot an event on Friday and there was an alarming difference between the levels of the FX1 and the Z1. I had to jack up the gain on the FX1 to 15db (lowlight conditions for this shoot) but still got nowhere near the exposure I had on the Z1.

In short, I just could not match the FX1 exposure to the Z1. I even went as far making sure the Black Stretch on the Z1 was off and matched setting for setting on both cams to be sure. Nd filters were off (first thing I checked)

For the life of me, I cannot understand this and it is very worrying. These two cams should be on a par with exposure settings.

My last resort would be to send it to Sony for a checkout

Advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Jeremy

Boyd Ostroff May 7th, 2006 09:48 AM

Just a wild guess...sorry if this is too obvious. Were the zoom settings the same on both cameras? If not then frame a shot exactly the same with each and compare again. I don't have my camera here, but IIRC the maximum iris opening at full telephoto is f2.8 as compared to f1.6 at the wide end of the zoom. That would certainly cause a problem like you describe if one camera had a wide shot and the other was zoomed in for closeups.

Another obvious thing (which I'm sure you checked already) would be an ND filter inadvertently left on. Did you also make sure the shutter speeds were the same on both cameras?

Jeremy Rochefort May 7th, 2006 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
Just a wild guess...sorry if this is too obvious. Were the zoom settings the same on both cameras? If not then frame a shot exactly the same with each and compare again. I don't have my camera here, but IIRC the maximum iris opening at full telephoto is f2.8 as compared to f1.6 at the wide end of the zoom. That would certainly cause a problem like you describe if one camera had a wide shot and the other was zoomed in for closeups.

Another obvious thing (which I'm sure you checked already) would be an ND filter inadvertently left on. Did you also make sure the shutter speeds were the same on both cameras?

Boyd, at this moment in time nothing is too obvious!

Both were full wide. ND's were off (first thing I checked as this is a common mistake). I had to REALLY play with the FX1's shutter speed to get a remotely viewable exposure and then it was still way off the Z1's exposure.

I've checked the LCD's brightness etc etc.

In short, I'm worried

Nathan Troutman May 7th, 2006 10:36 AM

I had always heard both cameras were essentially the same from a imaging point of view (like the VX-2000 and PD-150 always were.) Please post back when you find out if it's just an error with your FX or if in fact it shows that the Z1 is actually much better in low light.

Boyd Ostroff May 7th, 2006 11:47 AM

There's some discussion of a 1 lux difference between the FX1 and Z1 in this thread.... I've never used an FX1 myself, so I just don't know whether there's a noticeable difference: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...t=49002&page=2

Robin Davies-Rollinson May 7th, 2006 04:08 PM

I've used both cameras together on some shoots and I've never had an exposure problem. In fact, I always treat them as the same camera since I can't see any difference in image between them in the standard setting...

Robin

Jeremy Rochefort May 8th, 2006 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Davies-Rollinson
I've used both cameras together on some shoots and I've never had an exposure problem. In fact, I always treat them as the same camera since I can't see any difference in image between them in the standard setting...

Robin

My point exactly. Also the reason I was worried.

Note I said "was". There IS something wrong. Apparently the Iris has gone screwy and nobody can clarify yet as to why. I had the cam at Sony today and they have sent it off to the repair centre.

By comparing alongside another FX1, you can very clearly see the difference between the two using the same settings.

Lets hope my baby comes back as good as new.

Jeremy

Robin Davies-Rollinson May 8th, 2006 10:10 AM

Jeremy,thanks for the update.
Hope all is well and Sony resolves the problem...

Robin