DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   Anyone using FX1 with firestore FS4?? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/66926-anyone-using-fx1-firestore-fs4.html)

Bruce S. Yarock May 8th, 2006 02:57 PM

Anyone using FX1 with firestore FS4??

I posted that-I did a shoot Sat night with two FS 4's, one on my XL2 in Sd(worked fine all night), and the other on my new FX1 in hdv.The one on the FX1 crashed, and I couldn't get it working. I called Firestore, and they told me to trouble shoot first..
I tried both drives on both cameras. Neither drive works with the FX1, in SD or HDV. I also tried several cables.
My conclusion is it's the FX1, possibly the firewire plug, but who knows?
I had rented a Z1 last month, and it worked fine.
Ant ideas?
Disgusted and frustrated.
Bruce S. Yarock
P.S.- both FS4's were upgraded to hd by the guy I bought them from.

Bruce S. Yarock May 9th, 2006 10:05 AM

Update---
I tried capturing to the PC this morning, and it wouldn't even recognize the fx1 through the firewire.So I guess the problem is in the FX1.
Bruce Yarock

Justin McAleece May 9th, 2006 07:47 PM

Z1 with FS-4

I've tried to make either of my FS4' s work with my Z1 and it hasn't happened yet. I'm not sure what the problem is. Luckily, I don't need HDV on the firestore yet but if i did I'm not sure what I'd do. if ayone else knows I'd also like some pointers.

Bruce S. Yarock May 9th, 2006 08:25 PM

Justin,
The two FS4's that I bought had been upgraded to hd. before buying the FX1,I rented a Z1 for a week end. The Z1 and the FS4 worked fine together,capturing in hdv (m2t files).
After trouble shooting, I realized that the problem is in the firewire section of my camera-the computer wouldn't even recognize the FX1. So after a nice hefty packing and insurance charge, my 2 week old FX1 is on its' way to the Sony service center.
Are your FS4's hd or sd?
Bruce S. Yarock

Jon Omiatek May 9th, 2006 08:40 PM

I was in the same boat, except it was 3 days old. I recommend only using battery power to power your camera. AC adapter is a no no with this camera. I have had two of them go bad while on AC power.

Good luck, it took 4 weeks to get it back from Sony.

Jon

Bruce S. Yarock May 9th, 2006 08:53 PM

Jon,
Thanks for the ac adapter tip. I was using battery when the FS4 (really the FX1's i-link) crashed. I had powered down the camera, then the FS4, in order to change tape. Is it ok to leave the FX1 powered on while changing tape?
Bruce Yarock
P.S.- that's not good news about Sony taking 4 weeks...

Christopher Cruz May 18th, 2006 11:53 PM

Yup i've used both of my Fx-1s with the firestores fs-4 hd. One firestore is the pro model and the other is the standard model. I captured with both cameras in hd mode and they worked out fine. The only crash i've had so far is when I recorded in Time Lapse mode. After a power off and then back on though it worked out fine. Hope you get your fx1 back soon and that the problem is fixed!

Bruce S. Yarock May 19th, 2006 05:31 AM

Do you guys leave everything on 9camera an FS4) while changing tape?
Bruce Yarock

Christopher Cruz May 19th, 2006 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce S. Yarock
Do you guys leave everything on 9camera an FS4) while changing tape?
Bruce Yarock

I usually leave everything on (camera & fs4) when I change tape. I'll put the camera on standby and then open the tape door. The fs4 will continue to record (non-slave setting) but there will be a split second pause when the tape ejects and again when you insert the tape so just make sure you're not counting on the FS-4 too much to capture an event.

Bruce S. Yarock May 19th, 2006 08:22 PM

Christopher,
I usually use synchro slave mode. I wonder if the FS 4 will stay in record ready mode while I put the FX1 in standby...
Bruce Yarock

Christopher Cruz May 23rd, 2006 05:40 PM

Hi Bruce. Not sure if you already have the answer but in syncro slave mode, when you put the camera on standby the FS-4 will stay in record ready mode, and when you push record again on the FX-1 the FS-4 will start to record again. From my experiences, everytime I hit pause and record (in syncro slave mode), a new file was created on the FS-4. I'd prefer not to have a new file created but perhaps there is a setting or something I should be doing differently.

Bruce S. Yarock May 24th, 2006 07:16 AM

Chris,
Unfortunately, my new FX1 is being repaired, at a cost of $511 to me! Sony refuses to cover it ,even though it was new, in a sealed box, because I bought it from someone on Ebay. But that' another thread.
If and when I get it back, I'll experiment with both synchro and free modes.
Bruce Yarock