White area flashing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old May 11th, 2006, 04:26 PM   #1
Regular Crew

White area flashing

I taped my daughter's Wedding Shower last weekend using my Z1. When I played it back, the top she was wearing(paisley colors with white outlines)...the white outlines kept flashing bright then normal....This was only on the top she was wearing. All other white items in the room did not do this. I then took the tape and played it through my HC1 and this was not a problem. I had Steadyshot set to normal and the camera(Z1) I noticed after I finished was set to PP1. Does anyone have an idea why this might have happened?
Ray Boltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2006, 06:56 PM   #2
Regular Crew

If it looks fine on the HC1 LCD then it's most likely not really a problem. It could be that the FX1's LCD has that inherent problem or is not quite 100%. My FX1 LCD often gets quite grainy lines through it so you shouldn't trust it as the be all and end all. Does it show up in the FX1's viewfinder? If it does not have the problem when played on your PC or TV then I wouldn't worry about it. The brightness on your FX1s LCD may be up too high or maybe it was recorded like that and the HC1's is too dim. Like I said, try it on your computer or tv.
Old May 11th, 2006, 07:49 PM   #3
Major Player

Having said that, if the problem appears on your computer or TV, chanses are, the "white" flashing area is probably just a nasty attack of reflections, and that means, you needed a polariser.

I once shot next to a car, and the windows gave off a nasty flickering effect. I attached the polariser and the effect dissapeared.

If all else fails, contact sony, and then maybe send it in for repair. *Just to be sure*
Leo Pepingco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2006, 08:09 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thank you all for the reply. I should have added that this problem only showed up when viewed on my Sony XBR960 HDTV, and only from my Z1. The video looked fine on the TV when playing the tape through the HC1. I'll make some test shots using both cameras. It may have been because I had the PP1 set on my Z1.....but then the flashing should had showen up on the TV when playing the tape back on the HC1.....Hmmmmmmmmmmm......will update, after doing more tests in case this happens to anyone else in the future.
Ray Boltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2006, 02:20 PM   #5
Major Player

Very strange as both cameras should be outputting exactly the same digital signal, it should make no difference to the image by what camera you play it back on. Have you checked that both cams are outputting correctly, ie one of them isn't set to downconvert or anything?

John.
John Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2006, 03:04 PM   #6
Major Player

How is the flicker when you slowdown or pause playback? With even the slightest motion on fine, bright details, aliasing effects can occur especially when the cam's sharpness setting was boosted.
Andre De Clercq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2006, 09:52 AM   #7
MPS Digital Studios

At my wedding, I told my friend to shoot with CinemaTone 1--we were outside and my wife's dress was very white in the natural light. By shooting with CT1 until we got inside for the reception, the details in the dress could be seen.

heath
Old June 20th, 2006, 02:33 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Well, I finally got some time to re-shoot the top my daughter was wearing, and this time I shot it with the picture Profile setting to off. Everything came out perfect. Now that I have some time, I'm going to experiment with the different Picture Profile settings. Next weekend if the weather holds up...I'm going to shoot the re-enactments at the Saratoga Battle Field, NY. I think this should be a lot of fun. It will also get me practise in using my audio settings...due to the loud musket, and canon fireing going on. I'm also interested in how the colors come out. Thank's to everyone for the suggestions you gave me. Ray Boltz
Ray Boltz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1