My FX1 is making a strange noise... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old May 15th, 2006, 01:14 AM   #1
Major Player

My FX1 is making a strange noise...

G'day from OZ

My FX1 is making a funny rattling noise.

I was recording some silence with the internal mic and when I play it back, I get this very low rumbling, or vibration.

I decided to pull the tape out, and go a quiet room. I put the camera on "Camera" no tape and in standby mode, and had a listen. I put my ear up agasint the tape door and low and behold, I hear the rattling. It comes in and out every now and then, but I hear it...

I'm really hoping this is just basic motor noise, but I put the camer on VCR and the rattling dissapears.

Hopefully I can curb this problem with the new Rode viddy mic comming in sometime after May (I had to order one cause its all out of stock atm at my local viddy store) I'm hoping this is just regular motor noise, something might not be right with the tape compartment...
Leo Pepingco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2006, 07:36 AM   #2
Wrangler

You may be hearing the steadyshot system at work. Try turning off steadyshot and see if the noise goes away. As to whether this is something normal, I can't say without hearing it myself...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2006, 07:47 PM   #3
Major Player

Well, just checked... Its not the Stabaliser.. i dont know what it is..

But if it helps, it sounds like a cat purring... not too fast, and very very quietly that you have to put your ear to the tape door, and only gets picked up by the internal mic.
Leo Pepingco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 11:45 AM   #4
Tourist

It's just the tape motor. Internal mics tend to pick up camera noises just as that. It will pick up zooming, motor hum, and anything that touches the camera. Try zooming in a few times, record it, and see if it picks up the camera zoom. If so, it's just the internal mic picking up noises from the camera.
Jody Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 06:17 PM   #5
Major Player

lol... well, sorry to sound paranoid, its just that I just started my own bussiness with my own money (about 10 grand Australian) and I cant afford any damage to anything at this moment.
Leo Pepingco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1