DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   New FX1 music video! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/68704-new-fx1-music-video.html)

Ainslie Davies June 2nd, 2006 02:05 AM

New FX1 music video!

I would love it if you could have a look at our (myself/duality|productions) first music video. Previously we have only worked on events and short films. Any comments would be welcome. It is still a work in progress so the input from this community could mould it into something great!

There is a link to a web version of it in .wmv on the main page of www.duality-productions.com

The band is called Viracosha, song is Motorway.
There is a story behind it which you may or may not get at this stage.

Cheers

Joe Lawry June 2nd, 2006 02:51 AM

Looks good, i also saw your 48 hours entry, i know Kat Oakley who i believe worked in your crew. It was a great piece.

If you ever need any help shooting music vids esp let me know, i've got a z1p.

Ainslie Davies June 2nd, 2006 06:37 AM

Oh yep, sounds good, I think she just showed me a txt that you sent her, our team name for 48hours was Hollow Pictues, part of Duality|Productions.

Ainslie Davies June 4th, 2006 06:02 PM

Any comments? We will try to finish it today so would love this boards input!

Leo Pepingco June 4th, 2006 06:31 PM

I liked the video, but if you are looking for comments and contructive critisism, I could probably help you in what you're looking for.

One thing I found odd was the "story line" scenes ran a little too long for each cut. More specifically, the girl walking on the side of the road was just a little too long, and you only got one angle, and I was hoping for a closeup somewhere. Now, I know this is only a rough cut, but I'm just saying...

One other thing that I noticed was the MTV style "going out of focus" technique was really good. But it felt a little dragged. Maybe a faster movement? But its only my opinion. I'm not saying its bad, just that I would have done that differently. But then again, you may not have the time to shoot it again, or you already closed off the shoot and aready deep in the editing phase.

Other than that, nice vid... Me like very much.

Ainslie Davies June 4th, 2006 06:37 PM

Thats what I have been wanting to hear. Yeah the pacing of shots is too slow at the mo. I know what you mean about the variation of shots, I have a few more angles and things that I will add in, the time and rain didn't net me as many as I would have liked but I still have a tonne of footage that I have only just managed to gloss over.

Thanks for your comments.

Ainslie Davies June 4th, 2006 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo Pepingco
I liked the video, but if you are looking for comments and contructive critisism, I could probably help you in what you're looking for.

One thing I found odd was the "story line" scenes ran a little too long for each cut. More specifically, the girl walking on the side of the road was just a little too long, and you only got one angle, and I was hoping for a closeup somewhere. Now, I know this is only a rough cut, but I'm just saying...

I just found some good close up shots of the girl, ones that I had marked and logged to use but hadn't yet.

Ainslie Davies June 6th, 2006 09:11 PM

It is finally done (well 95%, just a bit of colour grading but I will render that overnight as it's a killer with HD).

Check out the video for Viracosha called "Motorway", the video is up on the main page of www.dualityproductions.com

Let me know what you think!

Leo Pepingco June 6th, 2006 09:57 PM

Its a very different video from last time.... very dual personality... like, dreamy. I think it works really well. Especially the zoom like transitions pf the night footage was a nice touch.

The Pacing was great, and the jump cuts just sooo worked with the music (ie the long tracking shot of the car) I liked it muchly... Unless you want more criticism, I'll be willing to watch it again, with my red marker pen... lol... but from what I see, its very watchable...

Joe Lawry June 7th, 2006 02:51 AM

Looking good Ansile.

Only problem i noticed were what looked like some additive disolves, that correct? Problem i've found with them is as well as they work sometimes i've can't seem to find a way to make them broadcast safe colour wise, and if they aren't, good luck getting a station to play the video.

You might know how to do it, i've just never worked it out in final cut.

Colin Pearce June 7th, 2006 04:12 AM

Very nice. I wouold try to get the woman's footsteps going in time with the beat. At 1:57 someone casts a shadow at the bottom of the screen.

Joe Lawry June 7th, 2006 04:59 AM

Some other notes shot/edit wise:

at 43" when you first see the band actually playing some mids or some mcu's in there would be cool, the wide shot doesn't hold your attention for long enough. What would be great would be a MCU on the lead singer walking up to the mic about to sing, but i know your past shooting stages so that probably isn't going to work unless you already have it.

A tighter cut a round 1'13" would be cool too, maybe shorten the beginning of the shot of her being shaken and having her push away right as the chorus comes in.

Yup, matching her walking to the music would be great as Colin suggested.

At 2'22" when the car pulls up beside her some closer shots would be cool, once again, i dont think it holds the viewers attention, we see no real reaction from her, no emotion. It just cuts from that to the front on view of the car where we cant see her.

At 3'04" when we see them all driving in the car coming up what im guessing is aucklands southern motorway the jump cuts aren't in time.. however i'm guessing that'll be just because its a compressed file. Im sure they are in time in the master cut.

At 3'16" just after the guitar solo have you got any cu's on the lead singing what sounds like the bridge? Ever thought of fading between that and the current shot (POV from car as they drive down the motorway) You could mix between or just overlay the clip and keyframe the opacity.

Yea thats about all i got... sorry this turned into a thread about the editing..

Very cool video as it is, im extremely impressed with the Fx1.

Evan C. King June 8th, 2006 01:34 AM

Sorry not to sound mean but I didn't really like it. I just feel it lacks a personal style, a certain punch that just wasn't there for me. Also you need more close ups of the bands faces earlier on and stuff like that.

To me the type of music was way more powerful than the images presented, it needs to be more alive.

One thing that really bothered me - I don't care if it's raining its just not manly for the lead singer to be singing in a car with the wipers going. There should have been turned off for that take, it's distracting and completely removes any feeling the video was trying to build because now there just some people on the highway with a bit of drizzle.

Of course this is all my opinion though, don't let it stop you from being proud of your work, completing anything is an accomplishment in and of itself.

Good effort.