Anyone using J Rods? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old June 5th, 2006, 03:54 AM   #1
Major Player

Anyone using J Rods?

Is anyone here using the J Rod on their Z1? - http://www.thej-rod.com/

Im keen to try one out as my shotgun is currently sitting in frame when its got a rycote on it and my accessory shoe is taken up by my light.

If there are any compeditors out there to this product let me know, and if any of those are sponsoring this site i appologise for my thread and some direction to them would be great.

Cheers.
Joe Lawry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2006, 05:04 AM   #2
Major Player

Joe,

I suggest he ROde SM-5 shockmount. Much cheaper out here in the antipodies - about A$50 - and works perfectly with my ME64 and wind blimp. GO to the Rode Web site www.rode.com.au - you will see the SM5 on the front page. Fits directly into the Z1 mic mount just like the Jrod - but lighter and cheaper.

Hope this helps.

All the best.
Old June 14th, 2006, 03:28 AM   #3
Major Player

Well because im a sucker for small business' i bought the jrod, someone had to try it. It arrived today and i had play with it, works very well. I got an xtra shoe attached to it for a bit extra so i can put a radio reciever on it while still using my gun and camera light.

Pictures here - http://atbnz.orcon.net.nz/jrod/

And before you ask.. no that wont be the microphone or mount it'll be using. It was just there and handy for the photo.
Old June 14th, 2006, 05:11 AM   #4
Trustee

Both those accessories look very good.

The Rode seems quite practical, though a bit limited in mic positioning.

The J-Rod seems more flexible and universal, as it will allow holding a radio-mic and will let people use better wind-protection.

As I think mic positioning should be as much away from the camera as possible, I think the J-Rod will fulfill that need better.

But the Rode will be lighter to use and simpler. Just put the mic between the rubber bands and off you go.

Cute.
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2006, 07:07 AM   #5
Major Player

Is there any pliability in the joint between the J-rod and the Z1's mic clamp? i.e. :

(a) has the J-rod the SAME diameter as a mike, and hence Sony's eight little rubber bumps inside the mic mount are NOT squashed hard flat, and still have a little "give" in them?, or

(b) has the J-rod a GREATER diameter than a mic, and hence Sony's bumps are squashed hard flat, resulting in a "solid" mechanical link between the J-rod and the Z1?
Old June 14th, 2006, 01:28 PM   #6
Major Player

The J rod wasn't quite big enough to fit in the clamp, but i was provided with 3 or 4 strips of rubber with a sticky backing if this problem arose. I only had to stick on one to the J Rod and now there is no play there at all, so yes, very solid. Im Going to be getting an AT897 very soon which will come with a rode mount anyway, so i wont have to worry about vibrations after that.
Old June 14th, 2006, 01:38 PM   #7
Major Player

Thanks, Joe! :)
Old June 14th, 2006, 03:48 PM   #8
Major Player

Lightwave

The Lightwave MM-XL-1 shockmount for Canon fits perfectly on the Z1, gets the Rycote out of the frame. Cost $125 at B & H and for me was well worth the price.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigationAnd I see that wrangler Greg Boston has one for sale in Private Classifieds for $100. That's a deal.

Last edited by Jack D. Hubbard; June 15th, 2006 at 12:42 AM. Reason: New Information
Jack D. Hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 02:22 PM   #9
Tourist

Finally I ordered my j-rod yeaterday and am looking forward to using it on my Xh-A1. i hav eheard nothign but good reviews and want to try it out.
Godfrey Layne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2009, 03:50 PM   #10
Major Player

I got my twin mount j-rod last month, and it's great! moving my AT897 back that far centers the cam's balance, gets the softie out of frame, i like it.

I did use one of the provided rubber pieces to size the j-rod to the mic-mount, and now it's SOLID.
Bryan Cantwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2009, 10:49 AM   #11
Trustee

I've been using the J-Rods for over two years now and love em.
I use the twin with my modded Sony FX1's (modded with the Z1 mic mount).

I use the Rode NTG2 shotgun with a Beyerdynamic low profile mic mount, and Sennhesier G2 wireless mounted on the side. I even had a J-Rod custom designed so I could mount the shotgun mic and/or 2 Sennhesier wireless units to my setup.

I love the J-Rod because it frees up additional mounting pints on my camera (cold shoe on front and handle bracket on the cameras handle. Also I prefer having my radio receivers vertical as it offers better reception than when mounted horizontal.

BTW, my main FX1 is mounted up to the max with Comer1800 LED light on front of camera, MRC1K (CF recorder) on handle via handle bracket, and shotgun mic and wireless mounted in the mic holder via J-Rod Twin. My audio is being fed from the mic and transmitter into a Juicedlink CX2100 XLR adapter box. It's loaded by very efficient for my needs.

If I had the funds I would upgrade to Sony Z5's which would take the MRC1K directly on the back and built in XLRs. But for my needs my 4 FX1's still suffice great.
Old August 21st, 2009, 11:49 AM   #12
Regular Crew

J-Rod and the XH-A1

The J-Rod works perfectly with my XH-A1. I have been using it for over a year and when you want a lav mike, a light and possibly another accessory, they can be placed on cameras shoe and the j-mount at the same time. An excellent accessory that I am pleased with.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1