HDR-FX1 vs. Panasonic DVX100B at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old June 25th, 2006, 12:04 AM   #1
Regular Crew

HDR-FX1 vs. Panasonic DVX100B

currently have a VX2100, considering upgrading, dont know which to choose, both seem like solid candidates, any help looking from the FX1 side?
Chris Ruona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2006, 12:35 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I stepped up from the VX2000 to the FX1. If you like the Sony no non-sense style, FX1 continues that tradition. It is HDV and it is SD, and true 16:9 in both (not like the psuedo 16:9 in VX and PDs). It will also shoot 4:3 DV.

You will have trouble not shooting in HDV, once you see it, and do some work with it. It just such a great image !! It has a lot of manual adjustment capability, and some other nice features (scene transition for one.)

I haven't seen or worked with the Panasonic DVX100B, but I understand it is not HDV or 16:9. That makes the choice easy in my eyes.
Old June 25th, 2006, 04:14 PM   #3
New Boot

I see what yer sayin' Chris, but I'm not sure its all that simple for someone looking to upgrade, because they may be looking for a small upgrade rather than a huge leap into a format that'll soon be changing (mpeg2 hdv to avc hdv).

If the person doesn't care about native progressive or 24p then yea the FX1. If the person has the hardware and software capable of processing hdv either for 60i or converting to 24p - then sure the FX1. If the person isn't going to be shooting in low light situations that don't allow for use of add-on light sources...then again the FX1.

But, if any of these are going to be issues, or if the person isn't particularly concerned with hdv or hd in general, then it's not always a clear cut thing. I myself personally had to think long and hard between the two, because while they are two completely different animals being progressive, 24p, sd versus interlaced, hdv (and while the fx1 has sd, because of its less sensitive low light shooting, its not necessarily better in everyone's eyes) - they have their plusses and shortcomings which really depends on what the individual needs.

Still in the end, I too opted for the FX1. Something about paying the same (if not more) for a slightly dated camera + FX1 ability to capture dvcpro hd, sorta fell more into my needs.
Randy Chisolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2006, 03:10 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Chisolm
I see what yer sayin' Chris, but I'm not sure its all that simple for someone looking to upgrade, because they may be looking for a small upgrade rather than a huge leap into a format that'll soon be changing (mpeg2 hdv to avc hdv).

If the person doesn't care about native progressive or 24p then yea the FX1. If the person has the hardware and software capable of processing hdv either for 60i or converting to 24p - then sure the FX1. If the person isn't going to be shooting in low light situations that don't allow for use of add-on light sources...then again the FX1.

But, if any of these are going to be issues, or if the person isn't particularly concerned with hdv or hd in general, then it's not always a clear cut thing. I myself personally had to think long and hard between the two, because while they are two completely different animals being progressive, 24p, sd versus interlaced, hdv (and while the fx1 has sd, because of its less sensitive low light shooting, its not necessarily better in everyone's eyes) - they have their plusses and shortcomings which really depends on what the individual needs.

Still in the end, I too opted for the FX1. Something about paying the same (if not more) for a slightly dated camera + FX1 ability to capture dvcpro hd, sorta fell more into my needs.
it can capture dvcpro?
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2006, 09:18 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Chisolm
FX1 ability to capture dvcpro hd,
???? - Tell me more, how is this done?
Brian Carrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2006, 01:04 PM   #6
New Boot

Hi Chris Ruona,

I recently bought 2 FX1's.

I would go for HDV no matter which make. So, if the choice is FX1 vs. DVX100B, then defenately the FX1.

Why pay more or less the same for old technolegy if you could have the newer technolegy?

It might be a bit more work to edit, but the results are worth it!
Pieter Saayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2006, 04:21 PM   #7
Major Player

I've actually shot some stuff that I'm sorry to say I had to use two DVX100's and my FX1... it wasn't fun trying to get them to mesh, but thats all I had access to. For me, it was more of a FX1/Z1U/HVX200 thing, as I definately did not want to be stuck with 4:3 SD. I really wanted the 24p capabilities and XLR connections of the HVX200 and DVX100, but my budget restricted me to the FX1 or DVX100. And my FX1 with a Beachtek DXA-6 gives me two XLR inputs with phantom power, and the 24p isn't critical for me, but I'm not gonna get into a "filmlook" debate. Sorry I tend to ramble on...

Simple version of the above:
Decide if you want/need built-in XLR connections and need 24p
Decide if you can stand 4:3 SD
I the answer is no to either/boh of the above...get an FX1

If I had the extra grand to spend on the Z1U at the time I would've done it. Can you tell us a little more about what you're interested in doing with the cam? By the way I'm yet another person who LOVES his FX1.
Noah Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2006, 10:42 PM   #8
Regular Crew

in my opinion fx1 all the way, 24p is overated, hell progressive is overated. Unless its super slow mo, or and effect etc...

Last edited by Mack Fisher; June 27th, 2006 at 09:26 AM.
Mack Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2006, 07:22 AM   #9
MPS Digital Studios

As far as I can tell, the FX1/Z1 cannot capture DVCPro HD, only Sony's DVCam.

heath
Old July 10th, 2006, 01:34 AM   #10
Inner Circle

I wouldn't call the DVX100 a step up from the VX2100 for most purposes, and if you're interested in what the DVX has to offer then consider getting the HVX200 instead.

SD-only video cameras are heading for obsolescence for professional purposes, and are arguably not a good investment. I'd say get the FX1, with the caveat that it's not as sensitive in low light as your VX2100.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2006, 12:43 PM   #11
Sponsor: VASST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Shaw
SD-only video cameras are heading for obsolescence for professional purposes, and are arguably not a good investment.
Ditto. I went through the same decision recently and purchased a Z1U. It makes no sense to buy an SD camera today when you can have HDV for the same price. Buy the FX1 and get a Beachtek adapter if you need XLR inputs. You will never regret it.

~jr
Old July 11th, 2006, 01:47 AM   #12
Inner Circle

I'd say go the FGX1 route too. The DVX is no VX2100 upgrade, especially with its slower lens that's only a 10x zoom as well. If you can stretch to the Z1 (rather than the FX1 + Beachtek) then do so. I've got both anf the Z1 is so much nicer to use. Focus assist, for starters.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1