DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   HDV audio compellor (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/70374-hdv-audio-compellor.html)

John M. McCloskey June 27th, 2006 12:07 PM

HDV audio compellor

Is there a digital compellor that we could use to enhance(sweeten) HDV audio? We currently use Aphex model 320A compellor for our DVcam footage. Does anyone have a hardware solution for HDV audio???

Graham Hickling June 27th, 2006 01:18 PM

At what point in the workflow do you want to apply the sweetening? The audio output from the hardware could input directly to other hardware; how would that be different from DVCAM?

Or if you get it into an NLE you could apply software plugins.

John M. McCloskey June 27th, 2006 02:26 PM

Thanks for the reply, what we are looking for is a compellor device between the HDV deck and the Avid adrenaline. Dvcam uses XLR's from deck to compellor and compellor to Avid adrenaline, (analog signal). As of right now we run from our HDV deck a firewire cable straight into the back of the Avid adrenaline. So what we are looking for is a middle man between our HDV Deck (out) to our adrenaline (in), the middle man being the compellor,(digital signal). Thanks for the reply.

Graham Hickling June 27th, 2006 04:12 PM

Sorry I have no idea if there's a 'middle man' that would accept and decode mpeg2 audio via firewire.

Is the reason that you dont want to stick with the analogue deck to compeller method that the HDV deck has no XLRs, or no analogue out at all?

John M. McCloskey June 28th, 2006 07:16 AM

The reason is because there is no HDV analog deck. We need a digital audio compellor that has a connection path to the out of a hdv deck and also a path to the in of adrenaline. A digital compellor, does this hardware exist?

Brian Carrell June 28th, 2006 12:35 PM

If, when you are referring to "middle man" as being in your firewire path between your hdv deck and adrenaline, then your answer would be no. You'd have to feed your audio seperately (analog out), then through a console with a 320A or a 320D (which has AES3 I/O -96kHz) patched in. Of course you'd have to mate the audio back and resync in avid. The trouble in fulfilling your request lies in that your audio track in HDV is MPEG. So for someone to create such a device it would have to pull the audio out, decode from mpeg, then run out through an A/D converter into your compellor 320A, then back through a D/A into this future device and re-encode the audio back to mpeg and recombine it with your mpeg2 video, so that you have a native hdv stream once again so avid can decode it properly (and keep sync).

I love my compellor 320A and use it a lot in my recording studio. My biggest usage is in audio for video applications. I have a MOTU audio interface, which I use as a bridge between my digital and analog outboard gear and my computer. I shoot with an FX1 and XLH1. I use final cut pro currently, which is nice in that it nicely integrates with soundtrack pro.

Before final cut pro, I used to export my audio track out and then open it with Digital Performer, Logic, Pro-Tools or Bias Deck (where I'd have access to my Motu interface) and then be able to use the Compellor or other compressor, levellor, or vocal effects unit.

But now with integrated soundtrack pro support, I no longer need that extra step.

Currently, however, I have found some really great plugins, one which I can make behave and sound like my Compellor (and levels nicely as well) plus it has a bit more versatility. This plug in comes in a variety of formats, such as VST, AU and RTAS. So now I just access this plugin directly on my audio track and I'm done.

So this would probably be the easiest solution for now (if your avid system supports these types of plug ins)

The plug in is called PSP Mix, and it is a part of the PSP Mix Pack 1.8 from pspaudioware.com. Very versatile and good sounding plug in and they have demos you can download. If you do, be sure to check out the vintage warmer.

I am sorry that I am not able to give you the answer you've been searching for, but maybe there's a different way to get you where you want to be. And if so, I'd be happy to help more

Brian

John Cline June 28th, 2006 01:47 PM

I've been waiting for years for a DirectX or VST plug-in that faithfully mimics the Aphex Compellor. It hasn't happened yet and, I suspect, it probably won't.

John M. McCloskey June 28th, 2006 01:49 PM

Best answer I've heard so far Bryan, Thanks. We are going to try an experiment in the morning with some XLR to RCA cables. HDV deck to compellor, compellor to Mojo. We will have a fire extinguisher close by. Thanks for the all the info it sparked a few good ideas around the office. But the main concern with all the responses to this thread is that the Sony HDV deck is digital outs only. We will let you know how the experiment goes. Thanks again.