DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   Will Z1P record NTSC through firewire? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/71273-will-z1p-record-ntsc-through-firewire.html)

Nick Hope July 11th, 2006 04:59 AM

Will Z1P record NTSC through firewire?

Before I buy it, can I just double-check that the Z1P (PAL) will record NTSC signals through the IEEE1394 input as well as through the lens? In other words can I use it as an NTSC deck?

Thanks

Nick

Joe Lawry July 11th, 2006 05:46 AM

Yes it will, all you gotta do is set it to 60i.

Btw. the P does not stand for pal like on 150/170, it stands for pacific,

Z1 U - United
Z1 E - Europe
Z1 P - Pacific

The difference between the U and the E and P is that the U's default setting is 60i and the E and P's default setting is 50i.

Someone correct me if im wrong..

Boyd Ostroff July 11th, 2006 09:10 AM

Yes, you should be fine for both PAL and NTSC (50i and 60i). One thing to clarify - you cannot capture HDV through any of the analog inputs like you can with DV.

As far as model differences, there seems to be some disagreement on that topic. When Adam Wilt reviewed the Z1 he pointed out differences in colorspace between NTSC/PAL for the different models. See the following thread for more info:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=45657

Nick Hope July 11th, 2006 09:40 AM

And which framerate do you think I should shoot in?

Thanks guys, that's good to know.

I'll be buying the Z1P here in Thailand so that I have a local warranty (and the price isn't bad too).

Can I run something else past you guys without starting a new thread?...

I'm assuming that there still exists the same framerate differences in the HDV world that existed in the SD world. In other words USA, Japan etc. use 60i and most of the rest use 50i. Have I got that right?

Now assuming I have got that right... I'll definitely be shooting in 1080i but I want to license my underwater footage to the widest possible global market. So do you think it would be sensible to start building my archive in 60i rather than 50i? That way the material would be correct straight away for the USA market and I would be better off downsampling from 60 to 50 for European markets than upsampling from 50 to 60 for the USA. What do you think?

Boyd Ostroff July 11th, 2006 12:28 PM

I'm guessing you're right there, but let's see what others think. I have been told that most of the DVD players in PAL countries are able to play NTSC DVD's and that multi-system TV sets are not unusual either. But here in the US only the newest DVD players can handle PAL and very few TV sets can either. But of course DVD drives in computers are usually compatible with both standards.

Nick Hope July 13th, 2006 11:41 AM

And how about in-camera down-conversion?

Thanks for the reply Boyd.

Well, I'm still interested in whether people think I should shoot 50i or 60i but I have another more direct question...

Will the Z1 down-convert (in-camera) from 1080/60i to 576/50i (PAL) and from 1080/50i to 480/60i (NTSC) or is the framerate locked during the down-conversion process?

Nick

Boyd Ostroff July 13th, 2006 12:17 PM

No, the camera can't do conversion between 60i and 50i or PAL and NTSC. You have to choose one or the other, then boot the camera into that mode. You would need to do any standards conversion with software after capturing in the original format.

Joe Lawry July 13th, 2006 10:48 PM

I'd go with shooting in 60i, like boyd said, most pal dvd players now play NTSC with ease, i know the ones here do anyway, where as like he said, few ntsc ones will play pal.

Nick Hope July 14th, 2006 01:29 AM

I've heard 1080/50i would transfer to film better because no pulldown is needed. I have had a couple of customers who were using my SD footage in film projects. Do you think a customer buying for transfer to film might turn their nose up at 60i?