DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   Is there a difference between PAL and NTSC for the FX1? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/71836-there-difference-between-pal-ntsc-fx1.html)

David Delaney July 19th, 2006 04:48 PM

Is there a difference between PAL and NTSC for the FX1?

Let me start by saying - I understand that PAL is 25p and that NTSC is 30fps. I am just wondering if there is any difference when loading onto my computer. I have seen an FX1 PAL version at BHphoto and wondered why the PAL version would be cheaper...

Boyd Ostroff July 19th, 2006 05:00 PM

As far as pricing goes, it's hard to say but is probably related to the principle of supply and demand.

The NTSC FX1 will only shoot using NTSC format of 60 interlaced fields/sec, and the PAL version only works in 50i mode. In standard definition mode PAL is 720x576 and NTSC is 720x480. So you need to purchase the version which works with the TV standard in your country or it's going to be a conversion problem with your footage. Computer software doesn't really care whether you shoot PAL or NTSC, you just choose the correct settings. But TV sets, DVD players and VCR's in the US are generally NTSC only.

Of course you could always buy the Z1 if you want the abillity to shoot in either format.

David Delaney July 19th, 2006 09:29 PM

Interesting. I thought the Z1 was the same as the FX1, except it was the UK model...

Boyd Ostroff July 20th, 2006 07:37 AM

The Z1 is the pro version of the FX1 with many additional features, including the ability to switch between PAL and NTSC. For a comparison see this: http://www.hdvinfo.net/articles/sonyhdrfx1/compare.php

Heath McKnight July 21st, 2006 01:47 PM

First off, PAL and NTSC are gone, because other than the frame rates, the frame size, color space and more are finally the same. Also, it isn't 25p but 50i.

There is an FX1e (Europe) that does 50i; it's very popular with filmmakers in America, since it's a bit more affordable than the Z1 and does 50i. I prefer to use the Z1, since it does both. You never know when you're shooting something to pay the bills and you need 60i and don't have time for a conversion from 50i to 60i.

heath

Roman Oulko August 10th, 2006 10:29 PM

hello guys i have a Sony XL 1 E European version i was wondering if someone knows how to convert from PAL Sytem to American NTSC system ? (Software or how to play videos recorded in PAL on american TVs )

Bruno Donnet August 11th, 2006 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roman Oulko
i have a Sony XL 1 E European version

Do you mean Canon XL 1 camcorder or Sony VAIO XL1 media center?

Roman Oulko August 11th, 2006 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruno Donnet
Do you mean Canon XL 1 camcorder or Sony VAIO XL1 media center?

I meant Sony HDR FX1E Camera sorry for that mistake

Heath McKnight August 11th, 2006 01:17 PM

For Mac, try www.nattress.com and for Mac/PC, try www.dvfilm.com/atlantis. Remember, once you convert it, you'll need an NTSC (or PAL) deck.

Lastly, keep one thing in mind, there is no more NTSC or PAL, since everything is now the same in the HDV world: same frame size, colorspace, etc., just a different frame rate.

heath

Roman Oulko July 28th, 2007 08:42 PM

Guys what is better Sony HDR FX1 or Sony HDR FX 1E?
what is the difference between them? other than 60i and 50i

Vince Halushka July 29th, 2007 10:42 AM

Hey guys,
I have 10 mini dv tapes shot in pal that I need imported into my ntsc project.
I do not have a deck that handles both, I use a small hc42 camcorder..any suggestions for capture...I am using imoive and FCE.
thanks

Boyd Ostroff July 29th, 2007 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roman Oulko (Post 720098)
Guys what is better Sony HDR FX1 or Sony HDR FX 1E?
what is the difference between them? other than 60i and 50i

That's the difference in a nutshell. The FX1E will give you 1080i50 or 576i50 along with cineframe 25, while the FX1 offers 1080i60 or 480i60 along with cineframe 30 and cineframe 24.

I've never verified this personally, but have heard that either camera can play back footage in both formats.

Boyd Ostroff July 29th, 2007 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince Halushka (Post 720274)
Hey guys,
I have 10 mini dv tapes shot in pal that I need imported into my ntsc project.

Vince, unless you're asking something that pertains the the Sony Z1 or FX1 your question is in the wrong forum. Are your tapes standard definition PAL?

To bring things back on topic, the Z1 is capable of recording and playing back high definition and standard definition PAL or NTSC tapes so it would do what you want. The US (NTSC) version of the FX1 might be able to capture PAL tapes, but this would be an undocumented/unsupported feature.

You might want to start a new thread in our Open DV forum since that's a better place for a broad question like yours: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=35

Brandon Freeman July 30th, 2007 12:10 PM

An NTSC FX1 will read PAL HDV to be sure. I have done it time and time again. Not sure about standard definition, but HDV 50i and 60i is readable on an NTSC FX1.