anyone found a charger with cig.lighter adapter? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old July 29th, 2006, 07:23 PM   #1
Regular Crew

anyone found a charger with cig.lighter adapter?

I recently got a backup battery charger for the L series Z1 batteries. I got it because it has a cigarette lighter adapter and I wanted that feature so I could charge a battery on the road when needed.

Unfortunately, this "Impact CS-LS" charger doesn't charge. Maybe I just happened to get a defective one, not sure yet. If any of you have found one that works and has the cig. lighter adapter option, please let me know.
Old July 29th, 2006, 07:54 PM   #2
Wrangler

Years ago I got an Empire VBC-LIN charger for the NPF960 batteries on my VX-2000. It has a cigarette lighter adaptor, but now that you mention it... I never even tried it!
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2006, 08:14 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Mach 1 (I believe thats what it's called) by Lenmar has a cig adapter. I use it for the batteries for my 150s.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2006, 12:56 AM   #4
Trustee

I use the Sony AC-VQ1050, which will hold two batteries (but only charge one at a time of course...)
It will charge from mains, car battery, as well as acting as a mains to camera converter.

Robin
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2006, 04:20 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Davies-Rollinson
I use the Sony AC-VQ1050, which will hold two batteries (but only charge one ay a time of course...)
It will charge from mains, car battery, as well as acting as a mains to camera converter.

Robin

That what we do as well. But we also have a power inverter by for the car that will charge the batteries on anything with an AC adapter. It converts DC power from your car to AC power.

Jeff
Jeff Rhode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2006, 01:30 PM   #6
Trustee

I use one on airplanes. I can plug in (but not turn on) my cell phone, then recharge my laptop, and on long flights, I have time to top off my camera batteries.
Old July 30th, 2006, 01:38 PM   #7
Regular Crew

car cig. adapter

"...we also have a power inverter by for the car that will charge the batteries on anything with an AC adapter. It converts DC power from your car to AC power"

The power inverter sounds like a good option because I could just use my current ac adapter chargers. What's the part # and who makes it?

I was told that sony no longer makes cig.adapter chargers, but will check further.

Also, when using the various models mentioned in this thread are you all finding that the battery displays the correct charged time both on the charger and also when placed back into the camera?
Chris Gorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2006, 01:48 PM   #8
Wrangler

Funny... I just got back from Home Depot where I noticed they a several different kinds of power inverters in the "tool crib." I have also seen smaller (lower power) models at stores like Best Buy and CompUSA.
Old July 30th, 2006, 01:54 PM   #9
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gorman
Also, when using the various models mentioned in this thread are you all finding that the battery displays the correct charged time both on the charger and also when placed back into the camera?
The cheap chargers don't have displays. I have a Sony ACVQ850 external AC charger which came with my Z1. You can switch the LCD display to show either the time remaining on the battery, the the how long it will take to charge. I've always thought that the "time remaining" display is pretty useless because how would the charger know what camera you're putting the battery on or what your usage patterns would be.

Now when you place it on the camera and let it run for awhile, I think the Z1 gives reasonably accurate estimates of battery time remaining (and my VX-2000 and PDX-10 do also). In that case I think the opposite would be true... how would the camera know what kind of charger you used? It's just computing an estimate based on charge level and power usage.
Old July 30th, 2006, 03:52 PM   #10
Regular Crew

help reading specs on inverter

Can someone clarify some spec info for me - I don't know how to interpret some of this.

I see an inverter on bh's site and want to be sure it wouldn't blow something up (or not work) if I plug my Sony AC/adapter charger's ac plug into it to charge my NP-F "L" series batteries for the Z1U camcorder. The inverter mentions 75W, but the charger says 25W - are those numbers part of what needs to be considered?

Here's the specs for the Inverter:

CTA INV-75 Power Inverter - Converts DC to AC, 75 Watts, Cigarette Plug
Mfr# INV75 • B&H# CTINV75
Input
12 VDC from Cigarette Lighter Plug Connector
Output
120 VAC @ 60 Hz
Conversion
12 VDC to 120 VAC

I'd plug my Sony charger's AC plug into it.

The specs on the back of the Sony charger read: AC IN ~ 100-240V 50/60Hz 25W.

Possible other option - if I could find the right cord:
The charger also has a dc input that says 12V/24V, but I can't get any info about what cord I'd get and where to get such a cord to plug into that input. Sony's website is useless.
Old July 30th, 2006, 04:06 PM   #11
Wrangler

Chris, could you please go to the "controls" link in the menu bar, go to your profile and enter you City/State/Country? It helps us answer your questions in the right context if we know where you are.

If the inverter says 75 watts it means that it's capable of powering anything up to a maximum of 75 watts. Therefore you could plug a 60 watt light bulb into it but not a 100 watt light bulb for example. So the 25 watt draw of the charger is well below the rated output of the inverter... you could plug in another couple similar gadgets at the same time even.

As the charger spec indicates, it isn't very particular about what you feed it. It can accept voltages between 100 and 240 volts at either 50 or 60 cycles. Again, the 120 volt 60hz output of the inverter is well within these specs so it will work fine. Of course we always like our members to support the DVinfo sponsors, but I'm sure you can easily find something like this locally in the places I suggested if you're in a rush. As long as you're buying an inverter though you might consider whether it would be useful for other things, like powering monitors or lights. If so then you might consider a larger model with a capacity of a couple hundred watts. Otherwise, it looks like you've chosen a nice, compact unit at a good price so you can go ahead and order.
Old July 30th, 2006, 04:59 PM   #12
Regular Crew

multiple use options

Thanks Boyd for that advice & info.

Meantime I'm considering getting what you have (Empire VBC-LIN) because I could also use it as an extra ac charger. When I read about it on line however, I can find enough details in the specs to fully evaluate it. I like that it has battery status indicator and overcharge protection. Can't find the wattage though.
Old July 30th, 2006, 05:04 PM   #13
Wrangler

Only caveat is, I've never used mine with the 12v adaptor, so you might have the same problems you encountered with your existing charger. In fact, it's been years since I've used that charger at all, so don't take my mention of it as an endorsement... I just got it because it was cheap! :-)

Acutally, I think the others had a good idea with using the inverter, because you would probably also find some other uses for it.
Old July 30th, 2006, 05:14 PM   #14
Regular Crew

charger choice

With the one I got I didn't even get to the point of trying the cig. lighter connection because it did not work at all with the ac adapter in ac. I think it was either defective or not right for L series batteries.

So far, the one you mention is the only one I'm seeing that does both ac and dc with cig lighter adapter. Just wish I could find a few more details on the specs.
Old July 30th, 2006, 10:37 PM   #15
Wrangler

I have a 350 watt power inverter that I keep in the truck. I have to credit Paul Kirby for this idea. It's handy to have and it only cost $39 at the big Bentonville, Arkansas based store chain that every town has. Do the letters WM mean anything to you? Buy the biggest wattage model you can afford because you'll find other uses for it too.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1