Shooting Documentary with the FX1 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old August 12th, 2006, 12:01 AM   #16
Loren Sonnenberg

To start off I just wanted to say that everyone's suggestions so far have been a huge help and I'm really happy that I joined this board.

Now to the good stuff - based on everyone's suggestions so far I'm seriously considering dropping the ~$350 for the Century Optics 0.6x since I feel like the wider view and more forgiving focus from the deeper depth of field will give me a lot more usable footage then I might otherwise get. In addition to the lens I'm looking at buying an EA86 camera shoe shock mount and an ME64 (I have access to an ME66 & MKH416, but don't like how they sound indoors).

Ideally what I'm looking for here is to build a flexible one man band setup around the FX1 that will allow me to get the kind of fly-on-the-wall footage I need for this project. I'm a bit nervous about being able to be inconspicuous with a camera the size of the FX1 and still being able to get the shot. Will a wide angle lens (more forgiving focus and wider/more usable interior footage) and a small camera mounted mic like the ME64 do the trick in these situations? Does anyone else have any other suggestions?
Old August 12th, 2006, 07:21 PM   #17
Trustee

Not an answer to your last question, but a suggestion that you try the wide angle before you buy, if you can. I have the sony wide angle adapter that I use on my Z1, and for handheld work, I find it throws off the balance of the camera to the point that it's hard to use for any length of time. These things are heavy as hell!

Great for tripod use, though...
Old August 13th, 2006, 09:44 PM   #18
Loren Sonnenberg

I wish I could try one out, but I live in western new york and I'd have to go up to Toronto to have any chance of finding one.

The 0.6x lens doesn't look too heavy. The 0.7x with full zoom capability on the other hand looks like it weighs a ton. After doing some thinking I'm leaning toward the 0.7x even at $650 which is $300 more than the 0.6x so that I don't have to worry about taking the lens on and off so much.

I used to do a good blend of tripod/handheld shooting, but I recently picked up a spider brace and have to say that I use it for pretty much everything now. I'm thinking that it do a lot to alleviate any weight/balancing issues that a heavy lens on the front would create.

So I'm going to put in an order with B&H tomorrow and I really could use recommendations on my wide angle situation asap. Thanks again for all the help.
Old August 14th, 2006, 08:36 PM   #19
Loren Sonnenberg

Just a quick update. I rounded up a 0.8x lens that I should be able to hold onto until the end of the project. I think this should do the trick.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1