Flying safety routines at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old August 11th, 2006, 01:22 PM   #1
Trustee

Flying safety routines

Does anyone know how do video cameras, laptops or even small audio equipment (like Ipods) fit into these new carrying baggage safety routines?

At least it looks as if South American countries will not embrace this new status quo. But as I was planning a business trip to Spain in November, I was thinking what will I be able to take with me on the plane.

In any case I am not sure these new routines will really be as effective as they think they will be, instead of making people less understanding and impatient.

Carlos
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2006, 12:27 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Here in the USA the TVs are saying that the only new banned items are liquids and gels. As I understand it the total ban on electronics in carryon applies only to flights from the UK.
Richard Iredale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 08:07 PM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Iredale
Here in the USA the TVs are saying that the only new banned items are liquids and gels. As I understand it the total ban on electronics in carryon applies only to flights from the UK.
Of course this should be checked with your airline, but if you look at the list of what is not allowed, it's so long that you can't even take a book with you. Believe me. It's ridiculous.

The comments I got in the papers here, and it's a serious newspaper, were from people in JFK, and I don't think it was only for international flights. Free-shops will certainly go out of business.

Perhaps I may be sounding preposterous, but I am doing two possible readings over this situation that is emerging:

1) The airlines will have to create an ID of some kind for every person who wants to take restricted items, like an Ipod, a camera or a laptop. Modern executives and professionals need tools and they can't be shipped. You can't ship something as simple as a cell phone, as it would be ridiculous... and I don't use one.

2) It looks to me as a justification for US UK governments demmanding obligatory IDs for everybody, even for internal flights. Many US or UK citizens will jump at that, but I don't think that is so bad or an invasion of privacy. It can prevent a lot of things criminal.

In any case I may have to see if those limitations are also enforced on trips from here to Europe, other than UK, if my project is accepted on some film festivals I want to attend next November. Or at least see if it's something happening on every airline or just on American ones.
Old August 13th, 2006, 11:42 PM   #4
Rextilleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos E. Martinez
Of course this should be checked with your airline, but if you look at the list of what is not allowed, it's so long that you can't even take a book with you. Believe me. It's ridiculous.

The comments I got in the papers here, and it's a serious newspaper, were from people in JFK, and I don't think it was only for international flights. Free-shops will certainly go out of business.

Perhaps I may be sounding preposterous, but I am doing two possible readings over this situation that is emerging:

1) The airlines will have to create an ID of some kind for every person who wants to take restricted items, like an Ipod, a camera or a laptop. Modern executives and professionals need tools and they can't be shipped. You can't ship something as simple as a cell phone, as it would be ridiculous... and I don't use one.

2) It looks to me as a justification for US UK governments demmanding obligatory IDs for everybody, even for internal flights. Many US or UK citizens will jump at that, but I don't think that is so bad or an invasion of privacy. It can prevent a lot of things criminal.

In any case I may have to see if those limitations are also enforced on trips from here to Europe, other than UK, if my project is accepted on some film festivals I want to attend next November. Or at least see if it's something happening on every airline or just on American ones.
I hear there is a push for biometrics----
Red #97
David Mintzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2006, 05:46 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Mintzer
I hear there is a push for biometrics----
Meaning?...
Old August 14th, 2006, 06:54 AM   #6
Major Player

Many restrictions from the UK are being lifted today. You can take small pieces of hand luggage on board which can include mobile phones, ipods, etc. Liquids are still banned.

Ian
Ian Briscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2006, 07:44 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Briscoe
Many restrictions from the UK are being lifted today. You can take small pieces of hand luggage on board which can include mobile phones, ipods, etc. Liquids are still banned.
Good to know. A step in the right direction.
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1