Problem with FX1 and Beachtek DXA-4X at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old September 13th, 2006, 08:50 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Problem with FX1 and Beachtek DXA-4X

Hello,
I recently ran into an unusal problem with my cam and BT mixer. The Beachtek is about four years old, and I used it with my VX-2000 all the time with no problems. Then purchased the FX1, and used it with the mixer about four times with no problems.

Last Friday, I was shooting at a home, and ran into the following problem. Anytime I plugged the mixer into the mic input, I would get interference noise (kinda like snow noise) just on the right channel. I could hear it in the headphones, and on the audio display on the viewfinder, I could see the level almost maxed. It was very consistent.

This happened with or without any mics plugged into it. All settings on the mixer were correct. I tried powering the camera with the battery, then with power supply, same result. I unattached the came from the tripod to see if that would help, but nope. Then went to all the different rooms in the house, same issue.

At that point, I had to get the interview shot, so I made due by plugging my wireless mic directly into the mic input. No problem there, and that told me that the problem was with the mixer, and not the mic input.

When I got back to my office, I tried plugging in the mixer to my cam again. No problem, no interference, perfect sound. I tried jiggling the cable, unplugged it a couple times, but could not duplicate the problem.

I decided to go back to the house to see if I could duplicate the problem there, and low and behold, I couldn't! I'm stumped, and somewhat concerned because now I have no idea what the problem was, and I certaintly don't want it to happen again.

Anyone ever had this type of issue? Any suggestions for troubleshooting?
Rick Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2006, 09:25 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I have the exact same set up as you.. from VX2000 to the Beachtech to the FX1. Never had that issue....Strange, but maybe some kind of problem with a short in the minijack ?? Sounds like what happens when you plug stereo mini into a/v minjack plug....
Old September 13th, 2006, 10:25 AM   #3
Trustee

I had the same problem with my Beachtek and FX1. I traced it to a bad XLR cable.
Old September 13th, 2006, 03:05 PM   #4
Major Player

Was your camera running on battery or AC power?

Last year, my friend (who ran a small local music venue) had an aux send running out of his sound board and into his laptop which was causing a buzz in the PA! He eventually realized it was because his laptop was running off AC power and it was probably getting dirty power. Switching to batteries eliminated the buzz.

(although if your buzz was only coming through the right channel, my explanation doesn't really make sense)
Old September 14th, 2006, 07:58 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I thought of that while I was shooting. One time, years ago, I learned the hard way on the how ac power can introduce noise. Dumb me, just starting out, had no battery power, and the outlet introduced all sorts of noise, but I was stuck. Ruined the entire shoot.

Getting back to last week's shoot - the sound was very similiar to the ac power noise. I did try with just the battery, but with same problem.

I'm thinking there is maybe a short in the beachtek box, and if it happens again, I'm gonna purchase the new box that is just for the FX-1.
Rick Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2006, 09:32 AM   #6
Major Player

FX1 and Beachtech Sound Issue

I had a very similiar problem on a shoot. Our sound guy had looped through my camera so he could hear what kind of feed he was giving me. At first we had alot of distortion and problems getting a clean feed through the Beachtech. After calling around and changing some settings we actual found out the volume of the headphones jack of the FX1 was causing the problem. It was turned all the way up creating the distortion. Once we turned it down the problem went away.

I'm think the volume had been turned all the way up to preview some footage on the camera without headphones. Just something to consider when troubleshooting.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1