DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   Z1 QuickRecord ? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/76053-z1-quickrecord.html)

Gints Klimanis September 22nd, 2006 06:41 PM

Z1 QuickRecord ?

I don't have a Z1, but I'm studying the manual to decide between the FX1 and Z1. QuickRecord may be a major feature for me.

What exactly does QuickRecord do ? I've been waiting for buffering that would in effect make recording more responsive to the Record button. Does QuickRecord actually record the data that is usually lost between the time the Record button is pressed and the tape mechanism starts up ?

Boyd Ostroff September 22nd, 2006 07:14 PM

I don't think there's any buffering involved. In your studies of the manual you should have seen this:

Quote:

The time shortens slightly until recording restarts from the state that the drum has stopped rotating, but the transition from the last recorded scene may not be smooth.
So I think it just spins up and starts recording without going through a longer routine of positioning the tape more precisely. I'm not sure since I've never used it on my Z1, but I thought I read somewhere that this could cause timecode breaks.

Gints Klimanis September 22nd, 2006 07:50 PM

Thanks. I was hoping for a magic buffering function. If QuickRecord causes timecode breaks, that could be a problem.

Bill Ward September 22nd, 2006 09:18 PM

That's exactly what it does: produce timecode hiccups. Your editing system will despise video shot in this mode.

Douglas Spotted Eagle September 22nd, 2006 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Ward
That's exactly what it does: produce timecode hiccups. Your editing system will despise video shot in this mode.

Vegas and Premiere Pro have no problems using QuickRec footage. I generally have it on more than not.

Gareth Watkins September 30th, 2006 03:44 AM

Hi there

I use the quick record occasionally when I need to pick up the camera and for it to roll asap...

I use PPro for editing and have never found it loses timecode... however I do notice a slight freeze on the last image when I stop the camera... Not a problem as I just cut it out...

Also after a few minutes, even with Quick Record enabled, the camera does make a power down noise and then takes several seconds to start rolling again...this can be annoying, as you have to constantly tell people to hang on until the camera boots back up...

Regards
Gareth

Tom Hardwick September 30th, 2006 10:47 AM

Yup - no problem with Premiere v6.5 either. But the delay in start up to which Gareth refers has made me invent some rather artistic editing cover-ups, I can tell you.

Just recently the crowd had begun throwing the confetti while I was mentally yelling at my Z1 ''COME ON!, turn on!" The resulting clip I got started from confetti halfway toward the couple's heads onwards, so I was forced to make a feature of it.

I used the Canopus speed controller to vary the speed from a still frame (confetti in the air)smoothly through to normal speed (confetti all over them). They thought that was very imaginative (thank goodness).

tom.

Boyd Ostroff September 30th, 2006 01:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sony's DR-60 would be a nice way to avoid those problems :-)

http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Broadcastan.../hvr_dr60.html

Gints Klimanis September 30th, 2006 03:56 PM

Or better yet, let's ask for this on the camcorder. At 25 megabits/second or about ~3 megabytes/second, there is little reason that a 16-32 MByte memory buffer couldn't be installed before the tape mechanism. The buffer would be filled at soon as you push the record button, and the tape would be written to for a few seconds after you push stop. This buffer could be programmed to hold a few seconds before you being recording to allow for some transitional material.

Vito DeFilippo September 30th, 2006 08:45 PM

Funnily enough, my first experience with a Z1 was a rental. Quick record on this particular camera caused no timecode breaks. Later, I bought my own Z1 and happily enabled quick record. Much to my dismay, timecode breaks all over the place.

So I'm back to the good old "wait 5 seconds after pushing the fricking button" mode. I love this camera, but this has got to be the single most annoying thing about it.

That, and I can't get the tape door open half the time without trying twice...

Oh yeah, and in VCR mode, it's really hard to review footage, cause you always rewind farther than you think. The image doesn't seem to update smoothly.

Anyway, thank god the image is so great!

Matt Davis October 1st, 2006 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vito DeFilippo
"wait 5 seconds after pushing the fricking button"

Surely, you flatter the Z1?

Push the button, wait, wait, omigod the shot's gone, wait, oh, we're lacing up and finding a GoP, now I'm shooting boredom, REC light comes on, and I get absolutely nothing. I hit the tit again. Editor corners me that evening... So what's with all the snapshots of bored people? You should have seen it 20 seconds before...

This is why tape sucks rocks through straws...

Richard Hunter October 1st, 2006 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Daviss
Surely, you flatter the Z1?

Push the button, wait, wait, omigod the shot's gone, wait, oh, we're lacing up and finding a GoP, now I'm shooting boredom, REC light comes on, and I get absolutely nothing. I hit the tit again. Editor corners me that evening... So what's with all the snapshots of bored people? You should have seen it 20 seconds before...

This is why tape sucks rocks through straws...

Hi Matt. I've been considering buying a Z1, but this sounds ominous. Are you talking about delay from the point of switching on the camera, or is the camera already switched on and you still get a lag when pressing the record button? In other words, if I have the camera switched on all the time, would this problem go away?

Richard

Ainslie Davies October 1st, 2006 08:47 PM

Sadly, no, as the tape mechanism powers down (or a low power state through the drums) after a few mins of not recording. I have not found if to be too bigger problem but that's because the majority of the time I can control what I shoot (ie films and music vids). I do occasionally get, "rolling, and-wait, wait, wait.... action". You can't really let this stop you from getting this awesome camera though!

Gints Klimanis October 1st, 2006 11:15 PM

I nice feature to add in a firmware upgrade would be a "Never Power Down Tape Mechanism" option in the menu. If I'm running the Z1 from an electrical outlet, or I easily have enough batteries to do the shoot, I'd like that option unless the tape is degraded.

Richard Hunter October 2nd, 2006 03:26 AM

Thanks Ainslie. When my old VX2000 was my main camera, I got used to hearing it power down, and then I would just cycle the power switch to bring it back up right away. It was very unusual that it would be off at the critical moment.

If the power up time for the Z1 is similar to the VX2000 I could live with that OK. Do you happen to know if they are comparable?

Richard