DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   Z1 malfunctions in earth orbit. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/76427-z1-malfunctions-earth-orbit.html)

Jack Zhang September 29th, 2006 12:48 AM

Z1 malfunctions in earth orbit.

I was watching a NASA TV replay of the coverage of the Expedition 13/Ansari Landing and I heard the Commander or Flight engineer for Expedition 14 Having trouble with the Z1 aboard the space station with a possible tape jam saying there is an error with a blue screen that says something about the cassette.

1G (Gravity) Z1 owners, what's your reaction?

Michael Hendrix September 29th, 2006 07:11 AM

Haven't had any shoots booked for space yet...

Had a tape malfunction in a DigiBeta Cam in Puerto Rico...what do you think about that?

Actually you just don't know what caused it, I think they should have been using the new Sony Master HDV tapes instead of Wal Mart brand.

John McGinley September 29th, 2006 12:57 PM

Use a firestor instead, it's not like it's going to add to the weight.

Chris Barcellos September 29th, 2006 01:38 PM

that mysterious object floating out there in space. Could that have been the errant Z1 ???

Gabriel Yeager September 29th, 2006 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos
that mysterious object floating out there in space. Could that have been the errant Z1 ???

Haha. Could be... Maybe they got so mad at it, they threw it out the airlock. :D

Back to reality... :( Thats cool. I have always wondered what kind of cameras they use out there, but now I know. Thanks for the update!

~Gabriel~

John C. Chu September 29th, 2006 01:54 PM

Imagine if this was a once in a lifetime opportunity and your camera malfunctions at the worst possible time. Yeesssh.

Oh well, there goes the commerative Sony Space Edition Z1.[It could have joined the ranks of the famous Omega Moonwatch and Hasselblad in space]

But seriously,[a bit off topic] my most amazing experience of perceiving/experiencing space was back in the early 1988 when I visited Washington D.C. and saw my very first IMAX film at the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum, "The Dream is Alive". It had multi-channel stereo sound and a picture that appeared almost three dimensional[and of course covered the limits of my periperal vision] It knocked my socks off.

This space shuttle film rocks, and it was "high definition" before people knew what was high definition.

Boyd Ostroff September 29th, 2006 02:03 PM

I'm curious as to whether the steadyshot system works in a zero G environment since it uses some sort of sensors to detect movement. :-)

Stu Holmes September 29th, 2006 02:06 PM

Accelerometers or gyroscopes should work fine in zero g environment so OIS should be fine.

Also, John M., although a firestore will not weigh anything at all in free-fall orbit, you've still got to accelerate it off the ground into space, so every pound counts...

Jack Zhang September 30th, 2006 07:28 PM

Good news, the tape was still playable and the Soyuz re-entry was captured in stunning HDV 1080i on the space station.

Update: I think the shutter speed they used was 1/5 or 1/10 to shoot the re-entry.

Evan C. King October 1st, 2006 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John McGinley
Use a firestor instead, it's not like it's going to add to the weight.

lol good one!