DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   50i when displayed on NTSC TV through component flicks. why? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/76436-50i-when-displayed-ntsc-tv-through-component-flicks-why.html)

Gustavo Godinho September 29th, 2006 07:41 AM

50i when displayed on NTSC TV through component flicks. why?

I intend to shoot a documentary in HDV 50i CF25. The budget doesn´t allow a pro monitor rental, so we´re going to check the tapes after each day of shooting using a NTSC TV.

To make the test, I connected the component cable to the TV and turned the camera on. The colors were ok, but the image was flicking a lot -- mostly on highlights.

Do I have to change any settings to fix it? Is it a camera or a TV problem? That flick won´t continue when I capture, cut and convert to NTSC, for the brazilian broadcast specs?

Thanks!

Richard Hunter September 30th, 2006 12:10 AM

An NTSC TV will be expecting 60i SD video, not 50i HDV. It's not surprising that the image is flickering. Maybe your budget can stretch to a cheap LCD panel that accepts PAL and NTSC?

Richard

Boyd Ostroff September 30th, 2006 08:50 AM

Richard is right. You can't watch PAL (50i) footage on an NTSC (60i) TV. Some newer monitors/tv's may support both formats, but none of mine will (including a 2 year old Panasonic plasma TV and a 3 year sold Samsung LCD).

If your funds are really limited then I'm afraid you'll have to settle for watching the video on your computer.

Steven Davis October 30th, 2006 01:44 PM

Hey Boyd, if you were to buy today, would you go with a plasma or LCD, let's say for displaying your video workage. I have to pick up either an LCD or plasma prior to the end of this year.

Boyd Ostroff October 30th, 2006 01:57 PM

Well the playing field is constantly changing, and since I don't have any "disposable income" to spend on a new HDTV, I really haven't looked at the current crop.

I'm still very happy with my 37" Panasonic Vierra plasma screen, even though it's an "ED" (854x480) screen. I don't have any HDTV programming and primarily use it to watch DVD's which look great. When I bought that screen (Feb 2004 IIRC) it was the best fit for my budget and I spent a long time comparing screens at local retailers. The plasma had the highest contrast ratio, it was bright enough to use in a room with lots of daylight, and it cost around $2,000. The specs are different on the newer Panasonic plasmas so I don't know how they compare.

One problem with LCD's is that you don't get rich blacks - they are always grey because of the backlight (newer screens have improved on this). I keep hearing great things about the Sony rear projection DLP screens, but they seem kind of big and heavy to me. Having moved twice within the last 4 years, I have now promised myself to only buy flat screens from here on out (although the plasma screens are heavier than they look).