Which films have been shot with the Z1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old September 30th, 2006, 08:19 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Which films have been shot with the Z1?

Hi,

I have a customer interesting in hiring me to shoot underwater video and possibly topside video using my Z1. The footage will be transferred to film.

Can anyone give us some examples of noteworthy film projects that successfully used the Z1?

Thanks,

Nick
Nick Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2006, 08:44 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Sorry, no 'films' shot with the Z1, but we do shoot a daily video podcast with the Z1...

http://www.neo-fight.tv

Best,

Benjamin

----------------------------------------------------------
http://www.neo-fight.tv [The "Techno-Debate" Video Podcast]
Ben Freedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2006, 09:12 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks. I am thinking specifically of projects that were transferred to film in order to give the client confidence that the Z1 can do the job well.
Old October 7th, 2006, 06:28 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Tomorrow is Today

Hey,

This movie was shot using the Z1. Pretty damn good cinematography if you ask me.

http://www.lumieremedia.com/tomorrowistoday/
John M. Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2006, 09:06 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Looks great John, thanks. I don't suppose you know if they shot it in 50i and what the transfer-to-film workflow was?
Old October 8th, 2006, 01:49 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hope
Looks great John, thanks. I don't suppose you know if they shot it in 50i and what the transfer-to-film workflow was?
I also would like to know that. Also, did he use a 35mm adapter?
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2006, 03:40 PM   #7
Major Player

Hi Guys

Some answers here:
http://www.lumieremedia.com//magazin...-magazine.html

Regards
Gareth
Gareth Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2007, 08:07 AM   #8
Wrangler

Tomorrow is Today Trailer on "The Lot"

Also, you can see the trailer is on "The Lot". Anyone who enjoyed it, I'd love to get your vote!

Thanks... Frederic

Frederic Lumiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2007, 08:41 AM   #9
Wrangler

Here's the correct link with filmmaker's intro and in the proper aspect ratio (2.35:1):

http://films.thelot.com/films/30365
Frederic Lumiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 12:42 PM   #10
Trustee

Eastwood and others using HDV

Millimeter had a great article recently on Clint Eastwood's use of the Z1U in "Flags" and "Iwo Jima"...other studios are also using it for cutaways and more.

http://www.freshdv.com/2007/02/sony-...ion-films.html
Matt Jeppsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 04:04 PM   #11
Major Player

I shot a full film with the Z1 (and FX as B-camera) - 70 tapes! Shot it at full 60i, making sure the angles and movement were as cinema as possible to reduce video look. No, it won't be transfered to 35mm. Great small HD camera IMO.

Saw Mojave Phonebooth at the local film fest that had been shot with a Z1. Looked great - detail abound, looked fine at night, didn't spot one HDV artifact in the whole thing. It did look like it was shot on video, but I think they showed it off a BetaSP deck on the big screen, so it didn't have the resolution it could have had. I bet no one in the theatre felt that anything was off - the camera was transparent and let the actors shine through.

http://mojavephonebooth.net/

Last edited by Robert Ducon; March 5th, 2007 at 08:00 PM.
Robert Ducon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2007, 05:21 PM   #12
MPS Digital Studios

Why 60i instead of 50i? Then again, Frederic wondered why we chose to shoot my film, 9:04 A,M in 50i with CineFrame 25 vs. just 50i and deinterlacing later. It was a choice the DP Jon Fordham and I made. We have no slow motion, etc. and it means less rendering time in post.

Spot, I believe, shot some stuff, or knew of it, that went to film. I'll email him a link to this topic and get his thoughts.

heath
Old March 18th, 2007, 06:09 PM   #13
Wrangler

I've been standing on the sidelines watching the 50i vs cf25 vs 60i vs cf24 debate for awhile. But now we're seriously planning some projects this summer and the director would like it to look filmic, possibly even do a film transfer someday.

So I read back through old threads, various articles and websites... and that made my head hurt ;-) I'm pretty sure I don't want to use cineframe since that impacts resolution. So we shot some tests and I decided to use 1080i60 thinking it was a bit of a coin toss. I haven't had time to experiment much, but since I already have DVFilm Maker I'll start with it. They seem to favor 60i on their website:

http://www.dvfilm.com/fx1/index.htm

Quote:
60i vs 50i

The advantage of 60i vs. 50i is that 60i can be converted directly to 24P, but 50i must be converted to 25P and then slowed down 4% upon projection in a movie theater. The slowdown (from 25P to 24P) is usually not noticable, but it does require that the dialog track be time-expanded by 4% and the music slowed down by 4% as well, before the 35mm soundtrack is made, to keep it in sync. There's no other advantage to 60i, the resolution is the same as 50i.
Interested to hear what everyone else is using.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2007, 06:15 PM   #14
MPS Digital Studios

I know this is on myspace (I have an upload size rule on my database linking to my site that I need to figure out how to get around), but here's a downconverted clip from 9:04 AM, conformed to 24p:

www.myspace.com/904am

heath
Old March 19th, 2007, 05:50 AM   #15
Major Player

I'm with you boyd..... I don't think I've ever researched a subject so much in my life.

I have a z1.... and a fx1 ( stays on a merlin ) and since the fx1 won't record 50i, it's kept me from wanting to shoot at 50i on the z1.....

Viewing both 24cf/30cf on my 720p projector looks soft to me.... ok for closeup shots, but wide shots fall apart in comparison to 60i.

Viewing 60i that's been "smart deinterlaced" with nattress ( with 24 or 30 fps checked in the plugin ) looks much sharper and cleaner.....

lucky for me I do my post on a macpro with raid and 4GB of ram..... still takes a while but.... if I were to have a slower machine I might be more tempted to use the 30CF mode and loos the rez.

I've even been tempted to seel both cans to get a jvchd100..... but the bad lens CA bothers me..... so I'm hanging tight and trying to get it into my head that 60i is'nt a bad thing.
Christopher Witz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1