HDR-FX1 or HVR-A1U ? What's better for me? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old November 6th, 2006, 06:12 PM   #31
Trustee

Thanks Stu,

I'm leaning toward the FX1, I like bigger cameras, the smaller ones seem to shake too much in my hands. 24p isn't a huge deal for me yet. That touchscreen feature doesn't attract me at all, mental reception would be nice, lol. CMOS seems a little too new for me to mess with, I'm just getting good at manual CCD cams. I always do MUCH research when it comes to higher dollar purchases so it could end up being a Panny too, but I am in love with Sony so far, my VX2100 is so happy with me :-)
Old November 6th, 2006, 06:20 PM   #32
Inner Circle

I also pit the A1U vs. the FX1 for a second HDV camera. I needed the FX1 for a shoot before the FX7 was available, but I still don't regret having the FX1. For me, better lower light performance is more important.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2006, 07:42 PM   #33
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gints Klimanis
I also pit the A1U vs. the FX1 for a second HDV camera. I needed the FX1 for a shoot before the FX7 was available, but I still don't regret having the FX1. For me, better lower light performance is more important.

So would you have gotten the FX7 instead?
Old November 8th, 2006, 07:48 PM   #34
Inner Circle

Since matching footage was more important to me, I bought the FX1 to match my Z1U. The FX1 is rated better for low-light performance, and that is also very important in my decision. So, even today, I would buy the FX1 over the FX7. I like the updated features in the FX7, but the 1/4" CMOS technology just isn't for me.
Old November 9th, 2006, 06:25 AM   #35
Trustee

Quote:
Attached a light monopod when you need it. My pre-HDV setup was a Sony VX2000 and a smaller Panasonic GS250, both with optical stabilizers. To reduce vertical shake, I added monopods to both. Smaller cameras are easier to handle when the monopod is extended from chin level to waist level. You can grip the monopod with your left hand or just tuck it into your belly above your belt. There is a belt attachment for the monopod, but even after buying it, I never felt compelled to use it. A thin monopod gets shakey when fully-extended, so I avoid that situation with the above techniques.
Interesting use of the monopod.

How do you attach the monopod to your belly? I mean: do you still keep it vertical?

Uses for the monopod is something very interesting, as it's probably a more practical tool than I thought it would be.

I bought a Manfrotto 682B last year, because it came with three retractable feet at the other end. Those feet allow you to mime a tripod. To improve on the limited angles, you can still buy a swivel-tilt monopod head, that will allow more adjustments.

Telescoped or not, you can still use the monopod as a steadycam, adding some weight to counterbalance the camera.

And apparently there's some shoulder extension that you can buy for it.
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2006, 05:00 PM   #36
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos E. Martinez
Interesting use of the monopod.

How do you attach the monopod to your belly? I mean: do you still keep it vertical?
The monopod is unattached to my belly. Since I do closeup martial arts footage, it's important to be able to sit down to get at eye-level for groundfighting. Then, the monopod sits on the ground. I've tried a shoulder brace, but I prefer this method.

I also use this method for still photography with 300mm and 400mm lenses. They are much easier to hold with that monopod, though I should try using that shoulder brace more often.

I steered clear of any monopod with feet. Knowing myself, I (or my casual assistants) would leave the mono-tripod unattended for a moment and the image device would smash on the concrete floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos E. Martinez
Telescoped or not, you can still use the monopod as a steadycam, adding some weight to counterbalance the camera.
Good point. I tried a small tripod unextended and taped three tubes filled with NiMH AA batteries (interesting storage location) to my monopod for one trip. It didn't work nearly as well as I had thought as I didn't have a need for foot-zooming. The whole setup was just heavier.
Old November 10th, 2006, 11:00 AM   #37
Trustee

Quote:
I steered clear of any monopod with feet. Knowing myself, I (or my casual assistants) would leave the mono-tripod unattended for a moment and the image device would smash on the concrete floor.
Yes, even if the monopod has feet, you still have to think of it as a monopod. So it can't be left unattended.

But it becomes a more flexible tool if you have the feet. It worked for me. These past few weeks I have been editing a whole documentary I made with the "3-feet monopod". I just walked a few feet away so the person wouldn't talk to the camera or look at it, though lately I have changed that modus operandi. Interviews get more personal when when the interviewee is looking just to the side of the camera.

About the steadycam-like use, the monopod can also be used as a poor-man boom arm, extending it forward and up over your shooting area. The question is how to view what your are framing. And for that I have to think on some small LCD that can be clamped quickly on the monopod, so I can see my shot and frame it correctly.
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1