Please Help! Can't Turn Off HDV-DV CONV at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old October 16th, 2006, 07:08 PM   #1
New Boot

Please Help! Can't Turn Off HDV-DV CONV

I recently successfully uploaded a downconverted project. My new project needs to be transferred at full res, but when I try to change the iLink CONV, it warns me: "Changes NOT allowed. Unplug iLink cable."

I know, I know, you're thinking, "So unplug the cable, Dufuss!" The problem is, there IS no cable attached: the camera just doesn't acknowledge this.

I've tried turning off the camera and removing the battery, replacing the iLink cable and even changing the setting and pressing OK in spite of the "NOT Allowed" sign - all to no avail. The "HDV/DV in" sign still shows up on the monitor.

(Incidentally, no video or audio is present in iMovie HD - which I've been using without a hitch for over a year - the iMovie screen reads: Camera Playing and even shows the time elapsed on the tape.)

If some kind soul can solve this dilemma, I'd be most grateful!

Cheers!

Chris ~
Chris Rasmussen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2006, 08:49 PM   #2
Trustee

Are you using the Z1? Are you in VCR mode?

Ony my Z1 the choices under "IN/OUT REC" are:

COMPONENT
i.LINK CONVERT
DOWN CONVERT
A/V-DV OUT

Many get confused at the i.LINK CONVERT menu item. The "Changes NOT allowed. Unplug iLink cable" warning is just telling you that you cannot switch the setting if you have a firewire cable hooked up. Unplug any firewire connection from the camera and turn off the convert function. You'll be good to go.

Don't confuse the A/V-DV OUT item with the convert function. This has nothing to do with it. But you could try turning it off as well.

If it really is a problem with the camera and not just menu confusion, you could try resetting the camera. But you'll lose any picture profiles, personal menus, date and time, etc. You'd have to reenter them.
Old October 17th, 2006, 01:44 AM   #3
New Boot

Oh! Yes, the camera is a Z1U, and as I posted, the cable is NOT connected - the camera just registers it as being attached.

Thanks for the thought about resetting, I hadn't thought of that. I tried it, and alas, when I scroll to the iLink conversion setting, the camera still insists a cable is attached and that no changes are allowed.

Other thoughts are welcome - anyone else had this happen and find a remedy? - I'm thinking though, that this means my precious camera has to be out of commission while Sony takes their sweet time with a repair. (AAAAAaarrrrgggh!!!!!!!)

Short of a fix, can anyone recommend - preferably from personal experience - a Sony certified repair facility in the San Francisco bay area?

Many thanks in advance!
Chris Rasmussen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2006, 05:13 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Chris,

I've had similar problems in the past with the FX-1. The only thing I've found that works is to keep playing with it--put the cable in, change the setting, take the cable out, turn things off, turn things on. Usually I can get it fixed in less than five minutes--and it doesn't happen very often, thank god.

Best of luck,

--Darin
Old October 17th, 2006, 05:40 AM   #5
Regular Crew

My Z1 always says that, but it changes the setting anyway... I'd guess it's a firmware bug.
Mark Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2006, 06:53 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rasmussen
Oh! Yes, the camera is a Z1U, and as I posted, the cable is NOT connected - the camera just registers it as being attached.
Many thanks in advance!
As I said (and Mark, too), the camera always displays that message, whether there is a cable attached or not. Ignore that message. It's just telling you to make sure there is no cable attached when you change the setting. The message will never go away, no matter what you do.

Now just to make sure we understand exactly the problem...

You are in VCR mode. You want to turn off the i.LINK CONVERT function.

You got to the i.LINK CONVERT menu item and push the wheel. You then see the HDV-DV menu item. You push the wheel. You turn the wheel to choose OFF. You push the wheel.

Now you are seeing the i.LINK CONVERT menu again. But in YOUR case, it still says ON? Is that the problem?

If yes, sounds like a good time to visit Sony...
Old October 17th, 2006, 06:58 AM   #7
Wrangler

I can't sort out your message as to whether you actually have a problem or not, sorry. But as others have said, the Z1 always gives you this message when changing modes. I believe it will also say something like this when switching between 50i and 60i. I don't think it's a "bug," it's just Sony being very conservative. They want you to turn the camera off whenever you unplug a cable, and that isn't such a bad idea because you will see other threads around here about blown firewire ports.

But other than this concern, you can just ignore that message. Now if your camera really doesn't change modes then that's another issue....
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2006, 01:53 AM   #8
New Boot

Belated Thanks to All!

As it turned out, the Firewire cable - which had worked perfectly for many weeks before - gave up the ghost and I assumed (never having notice the cable-connected message) that the problem was with the camera.

Happy to report that the purchase of a new cable remedied the situation and that all is well in the universe.... mostly.

Cheers!

Chris ~
Chris Rasmussen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1