Hoodman in bright sunlight? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old October 17th, 2006, 06:44 AM   #1
Trustee

Hoodman in bright sunlight?

I did an outside shoot this week end in Miami with the clients Z1(I have an XL2 and an FX1). Since it was so bright, I couldn't use the lcd, and had to squint into the little viewfinder for 8 hours.
When I got home the first night, I had a throbbing ache in my right eye. The next day I brought my XL2 which has the high res crt monochrome viewfinder. Shooting with the XL2 viewfinder (and switching to my left eye) I was fine.
My question is- Would something like the hoodman allow you to use the lcd instead of the viewfinder in bright sunlight? Any other suggestions?
Thanks
Bruce S. Yarock
www.yarock.com
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2006, 03:26 PM   #2
Wrangler

There are two kinds of Hoodmans, ones that resemble an open-ended box and the diagonally slanted ones. The slanted ones perform much better in that they eliminate any surface reflection on the face of the monitor, as well as cutting ambient light. The square ones only cut the ambient. Unfortunately any Hoodman below the 8" monitor size will only come in the square shape.

It's better than nothing and it just might be enough, but it's not perfect, and if the sun is behind you there won't be much improvement over a bare screen.

However, it's a pretty inexpensive investment and a good thing to have in the kit regardless.
Old October 17th, 2006, 04:01 PM   #3
Trustee

Thanks, Charles.
Bruce S. yarock
www.yarock.com
Old October 17th, 2006, 04:16 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi Bruce,

I don't have the Cams you've got, but I do a lot of outdoor Video (horse shows).

I simply made the proper sized hoods for my cams out of Velcro, cardboard, and some Duct Tape and flat black paint.

I've also made them for my 5" and 8" LCD monitors that I use most of the time, on most shoots.

Much cheaper, easy to make, and always the right size for whatever equipment you have. Can send you Pics if interested.

Harold
Harold Schreiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2006, 07:02 PM   #5
Trustee

Harold,
That sounds great. Then I could make it bigger(deeper) than the standard hoodman.Please do email a pic to yarock at a o l dot com.
Bruce S. Yarock
www.yarock.com
Old October 17th, 2006, 07:04 PM   #6
Trustee

harold,
Does your design also eliminate surface glare ( see Charles' post)?
Bruce S. Yarock
www.yarock.com
Old October 17th, 2006, 09:10 PM   #7
Major Player

Hi Bruce,

Check your E-Mail, samples there.

Harold
Harold Schreiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2006, 04:14 AM   #8
Trustee

Thanks, Harold.
Bruce S. yarock
www.yarock.com
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1