anyone had true success with a shoulder mount... - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old December 13th, 2006, 10:29 AM   #31
Trustee

Anton Bauer EgripZ

Today I got to know this intriguing accessory from Anton Bauer:

http://www.antonbauer.com/egripz.htm

Cost is reasonable: $120. But it's still costlier than the Spyder Brace.

A good thing about is that you can use it on your detachable tripod plate and go hand-holding quite quick.

Has anyone tried it?

Carlos
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2006, 05:04 PM   #32
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos E. Martinez
Has anyone tried it?
Ah, so this is the thing I played with at the UK IoV show (whilst waiting for a purchase to go through).

I'm a Z1/FigRig devotee, but they had one of these attached to a Sony A1. It seems to REALLY help tiddler cameras. You can flex the 'wing' handles to your preferred position, and the temptation is to start flinging the camera around subjects.

And therein lies the rub - it's a FigRig style stabiliser for handycams. It simply makes teeny weeny cameras big enough to hold, with scope to put a LANC controller on it somewhere. It won't allow you to do steadicam shots, it doesn't replace a tripod, but it will help the OIS to make handheld shots watchable.

Great for little cameras, not right for bigger cams (PD150/V1 and up).

BTW, I've got directors ASKING me to bring my FigRig, but the 'restless gaze' that such devices can create is only a current fashion in corporates. Maybe the next big thing will make these kind of shots (and the devices to create them) too 'yesterday'.

If only we could get a Z1 and an F350 on a really romantic date, wait 9 months or so, and look out for a sort of HDV VX9000...
Matt Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2006, 04:15 AM   #33
Major Player

Hi

I've got the Cavision support for my Z1 and find it great for steady shoulder type shots..far better than simply hand holding. It doesn't aleviate the front heavy nature of the camera, especially with matte box and filters, but it makes a huge difference. It is easier to use if you shoot using the LCD as your viewfinder though!

However, I think Matt hit the nail on the head... we all find a use for some kind of support for the Z1...Something along the lines of a HDV DSR250 in the same basic price bracket as the Z1 would be my preference.

I can't afford nor justify an XDcam...so until then.. !!!!

cheers
Gareth
Gareth Watkins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1