FX1 standby / rec at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old November 3rd, 2006, 12:33 AM   #1
New Boot

FX1 standby / rec

Hi, I'm a newy to this forum and also as an FX1 owner, I am enjoying both.
I have a question re stby and rec. When I push rec from stby, stby sometimes flashes once or twice before it records, which is great, but other times stby flashes up to 15 times before the rec comes on. I spoke to Sony, they said this is normal, but if it flashes for a minute it will ned to be services, the guy seemed unsure. How quick should stby to rec be?
Easy to miss the shot. Thanks
Allan Sealey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2006, 02:46 AM   #2
Regular Crew

This is normal for the FX1 (and a few other HDV cams if I'm not mistaken). It usually happens if you have left the camera on standby for an extended time, or have rapidly stopped and restarted recording. The HDV tape transport just takes more time to 'wake up'.

And yes, this is a significant problem when action is happening fast - in which case you just have to keep rolling and not stop recording. It uses up more tape, but ensures you don't miss a shot that comes up suddenly.
Dan Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2006, 06:31 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Yeah, that's one major drawback about the FX1 compared to the VX2100 which I used to own - the long standby period. I'm not sure why it takes so much longer...
John M. Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2006, 08:32 AM   #4
Regular Crew

This is one of the reasons I am going to replace my FX1. That delay is just a little annoying for filmmaking but I also use the camera for home movies and frequently if you wait for 20 seconds to REC you missed the shot.

One other thing to watch out for is the autofocus. At least on my FX1 it's terrible. Again more of a problem with home movies when you don't want to spend a lot of time setting up the shot.
Dan Measel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2006, 09:12 AM   #5
New Boot

Thanks everyone. The slow (rec) is annoying, perhaps Sony will do a fix, perhaps not. Will live with it and work around it. But love the camera
Allan
Allan Sealey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1