DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   Gain, How much do you use? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/78817-gain-how-much-do-you-use.html)

Mark Twittey November 3rd, 2006 01:12 PM

Gain, How much do you use?

G'day
I have been experimenting with the Gain settings.
I always use the Z1 in manual mode, and I have set the Gain
switch to: 0, 6. 9 db.
But have just had to film in some tunnels and used 12db,
I was amazed how little noise there was.
What levels do you guys go to in Broadcast situations ?
Thanks

Gareth Watkins November 3rd, 2006 01:55 PM

Hi Mark

I've used 12db with good results... everyone harps on at how good the PD 170 was in low light.. but I find the Z1 almost as good at 12db...and you get a 16:9 picture..

I've not pushed as far as 18db which does get grainy..but if it's that or nothing???...

cheers
Gareth

Stick Tully November 3rd, 2006 04:07 PM

i had the gain on auto yesterday and i didnt realise my fx1 had stuck it up to 18, it looked horrible!

Mark Utley November 3rd, 2006 04:35 PM

I shoot a lot of concerts and usually use 18db gain. It doesn't look bad at all when downconverted. There have been times at the main venue I shoot at when we've turned the lights up a bit (making things slightly uncomfortable for the band) and I've been able to use 15db, which I've found makes a pretty significant difference in noise.

This footage airs every week on a local TV station. I think it looks fine considering the shooting environment. The only other option is dark video.

Bob Willis November 4th, 2006 05:21 PM

My experience is that the Z1 is fairly clean up to 9db then I start to notice the noise.It really depends on the shooting situation whether I worry about adding a little noise. .

Joe Lawry November 4th, 2006 11:49 PM

I was shooting at a concert the other week with the z1 on 12 db's of gain, the picture looks pretty good, and i was only shooting straight DV for the client.

Michael Cassidy November 5th, 2006 12:32 PM

In Auto Expoure, is there a way, as with certain cameras, to see the settings, that the camera, would choose. Then perhaps use them, as some sort of exposure guide to set your own?
I know with my old XL2, you could press the expoure lock, and read what the Auto settings were set at.
I know you can see the settings during playback, but then it's may be too late.
I think the answer to this queston is no! But thought I might ask anyway!

Thanks, Mike.

Vito DeFilippo November 5th, 2006 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Cassidy
In Auto Expoure, is there a way, as with certain cameras, to see the settings, that the camera, would choose. Then perhaps use them, as some sort of exposure guide to set your own?
I know with my old XL2, you could press the expoure lock, and read what the Auto settings were set at.

Mike. If you put it on Autoexposure, frame your shot, then hit the iris button, it will tell you what setting it is choosing for the shot. Same with auto gain...

Albert Rudnicki November 5th, 2006 07:08 PM

I guess your final format should be your guide to your db settings.
I had a lot of luck with down-converting the footage shot in HDV (12 and up db) to sd (it shrinks the noise just the same), but
it's a different story with HD, things can get messy.
As a general advise I would not go higher then 9db.
Test it in extreme conditions and view it on HD monitor.
That's mine two cents
Cheers
Albert Rudnicki
www.yayofilms.com

Garrison Hayes November 5th, 2006 07:17 PM

Gain

i always have my gain set to 6dBs when i'm inside and 0dBs when i'm outdoors...

John Laird November 6th, 2006 03:00 PM

I use 12db regularly for shooting events with good results. Definitely correct that anything past 9db will have some noise but depending on where the destination for your video is, it may or may not be an issue. I own a PD170 and a Z1 and have been happy with the Z1's comparative performance. It's not as good of course but definitely good enough.

John

Mark Twittey November 14th, 2006 03:17 PM

Thanks Guys,
I have done some experimenting with HDV and DVCAM and have come to the conculsion that I will change my settings to:

My reasoning being that under normal conditons 0, is appropriate,
If I need more light 9, is vertually undetectable, so why not have the stop?
I can always use 12, if I do not want to be wide open and need that extra
stop and depth of field.

Thanks for all your imput

Phil Bloom November 15th, 2006 10:25 AM

i use an m2, and i find 9db undetectable and 12db very usable. 15db only used when absoluteyl necessary